Do you have experience with open-source technologies and like to help users resolve their technical problems? Do you have experience with library technology and are excited to help libraries further their mission? Are you looking for a remote position?
LYRASIS is seeking a DevOps Engineer who will be responsible for bringing up new client sites, improving existing DevOps infrastructure, and providing technical support to hosting clients for our open-source cloud-based Library Simplified service.
Library Simplified is an open-source e-book/a-book content aggregator developed for public library use by the New York Public Library. It aggregates content from a library's e- and a-book vendors, integrates with the library's ILS for patron access, and provides access to the content for library patrons to checkout/download via a mobile app (iOS and Android) called SimplyE.
This is a remote, grant-funded position for 24 months, with the possibility of an extension.
Duties / Job Responsibilities
- Specific focus on building and automating the QA/testing infrastructure for the full suite of Library Simplified technologies
- Developing and maintaining DevOps infrastructure tools
- Deploying appropriate hardware to support new clients' instances of the software
- Monitoring and adjusting hardware/software to ensure proper performance
- Responding to and troubleshooting tickets from clients and their patrons
- Applying software upgrades to client instances as/when they become available
- Being active in the Library Simplified developer community
- Writing technical documentation and provide training as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of the open-source software development process and life cycle
- Ability to troubleshoot application, database, network, and operating system-related issues
- Understanding of incident, problem, change and release management practices
- Proven ability to interact with other developers and business teams
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including experience producing technical documentation
- Must possess self-directed initiative and excel in the areas of time management, organization, and prioritization
- Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
Technical Experience and Training
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in a related field
- Familiarity with test-driven development and software testing
- 2 years of software development and/or DevOps experience
- Experience in open-source software development and cloud-deployment practices
- Experience with Linux, Python, Postgres
- Experience with AWS, Terraform, Ansible, Docker
- Familiarity with mobile development and web front-end technologies
- Ability to learn new programming languages and deployment environments
- Issue and Ticket tracking systems (ZenDesk, BaseCamp, Github Issues, Jira)
- Experience writing unit and integration tests, especially tests for web / mobile UIs with Selenium / Appium
- Familiarity with Library Simplified or other archival/collection management/ebook systems
- Experience working in a Library or Archive
- Experience working in a remote position
LYRASIS is a 501 c 3 non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support enduring access to the world's shared academic, scientific, and cultural heritage through leadership in open technologies, content services, digital solutions and collaboration with archives, libraries, museums, and knowledge communities worldwide.
LYRASIS was created by its members to help them tackle wide-reaching challenges. LYRASIS is organized into three primary units of focus community supported/open-source software, technology hosting services and content creation and acquisition. In addition to these business units, we also offer specific programs such as consulting, training, fiscal services and more.
At LYRASIS, one of our core values is to provide an inclusive environment to all who are employed here. Therefore, the company is intentional in providing fair and equitable employment opportunities to all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Last updated: Thursday, April 22, 2021 00:40 UTC