Do you have experience with open-source technologies and like to help users resolve their technical problems? Do you have experience with library technology and are excited to help libraries further their mission? Are you looking for a remote position?
The Data Migration Specialist will extract, transform, and load client data from their legacy cultural heritage system(s) into LYRASIS-operated, open-source software platforms. LYRASIS-hosted platforms today include ArchivesSpace, Islandora, DSpace, and CollectionSpace. The Specialist will also create and maintain the tools used for such migrations.
The ideal candidate will provide excellent technical support and customer service, effectively deal with stressful situations, and meet firm deadlines. This individual must be able to work with other project managers and client stakeholders to define functional requirements, communicate complex issues effectively to all parties, work in a fast-paced environment on time-sensitive projects, and possess a great attitude.
Duties / Job Responsibilities
- Manage migration projects for LYRASIS clients by producing project plans and timelines for clients, adhering to these deadlines, generating realistic expectations, and communicating clearly with clients and other stakeholders.
- Analyze clients' legacy data/data models, and advise them on the best way to clean-up, manipulate and prepare their data for migration into LYRASIShosted platforms.
- Assist clients with creating data maps, including consulting on solutions for data fields that do not map directly.
- Create scripts to facilitate the extraction, transformation, and loading of legacy data, including clear documentation that can be used in other migration projects.
- Perform special data change and data cleanup projects on an as-needed basis.
- Provide excellent technical support to LYRASIS hosting clients.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of and experience with cultural heritage organizations' operations, workflows, data/metadata, and repository infrastructure.
- Knowledge of current metadata standards such as SPECTRUM, CDWA, CCO, Dublin Core, CIDOCCRM, DarwinCore, IIIF, and other emerging data standards.
- High comfort level with Linux, a shell prompt, scripting, PostgresSQL, Fedora or other relational databases, XSL and programming.
- Familiarity with OpenRefine, Talend, or other data ETL tools.
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Ability to succeed in a team environment and in a remote organization with minimum direction.
- Experience operating or managing open-source collections management/repository systems.
LYRASIS is a 501 c 3 non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support enduring access to the world's shared academic, scientific, and cultural heritage through leadership in open technologies, content services, digital solutions and collaboration with archives, libraries, museums, and knowledge communities worldwide.
LYRASIS was created by its members to help them tackle wide-reaching challenges. LYRASIS is organized into three primary units of focus community supported/open-source software, technology hosting services and content creation and acquisition. In addition to these business units, we also offer specific programs such as consulting, training, fiscal services and more.
At LYRASIS, one of our core values is to provide an inclusive environment to all who are employed here. Therefore, the company is intentional in providing fair and equitable employment opportunities to all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Last updated: Thursday, April 22, 2021 00:40 UTC