Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion at Getty
Getty believes diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion are essential to our excellence and to the execution of our mission. The Getty community values differences in the pursuit of inquiry and knowledge, mutual understanding, respect, trust, transparency, and cooperation. We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
At Getty Digital, we're re-imagining how we can use software to provide access to our collections and research. We intend to provide a deeply connected, consistent experience for scholars, researchers, and enthusiasts as they explore the complex information held across the Getty.
We believe that the best software is built by teams with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We strive to provide a collaborative environment where all team members have the opportunity to learn, grow, and contribute to the software we build and our overall vision.
We're looking for a developer to work with our Research Application Development team. This team is responsible for the online presentation of the Getty Museum’s collection online, the Research Institutes archival collections, the Getty Research Portal, the Getty vocabularies, and other initiatives focused on the discovery and presentation of cultural heritage information. We recently launched a tool to allow the museum’s collections to be used in Animal Crossing. It’s a highly collaborative team with regular co-working sessions, code review, and pair programming as common practices.
As a software engineer, you’ll report to the team lead, and will be responsible for working with them and the rest of the team to help estimate, plan, and execute major software initiatives across the Getty, as well as supporting existing applications and projects. You will also be responsible for collaborating, sharing with and learning from a talented team of software developers. You will work with subject matter experts, UX researchers, designers, and other software development teams, collaborating to build experiences that help share the information shared across the Getty with the larger world.
Our software stack is Vue.js on the front end, with backend implementations in Python, data provided via APIs, and custom search interfaces using ElasticSearch. The Getty is committed to using Linked Open Data across our architecture, and to the use of IIIF for access to rich media assets.
The Getty is among the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art. You will work on an amazing campus amongst fabulous art, architecture, and archives, collaborating with world-class scientists, curators, librarians, archivists, and academics. We offer a family friendly work environment with benefits including accrued vacation, personal and sick time, every other Friday off, excellent benefits, and a strong commitment to balancing work and personal life.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Design, build, and maintain an ecosystem of applications presenting detailed information about the Getty's collections and scholarship
- Assist in the technical implementation of new features and applications
- Executes day-to-day work of software development and testing
- Maintain and upgrade existing applications
- Perform code reviews and provide feedback to peer developers
- Follow Getty policies and best practices for software development
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or a combination of education and relevant experience
- 2-5 years software development experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An interest in the work of cultural heritage
- 2-3 years software development experience
- Experience with HTML & CSS
- A working knowledge of backend code and coding practices
- Experience with Jest, Cypress or other unit and end-to-end testing frameworks
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with REST APIs & HTTP
- Tact, diplomacy, and interpersonal skills
Useful Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Vue.js, NPM, Express, & Webpack
- Knowledge of Python, Flask, and Django
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience developing dynamic, data-driven web applications
- Experience with RDF, Linked Data, and/or Graph data structures
- Experience with the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF)
- A strong understanding of museum, library and archival practice, systems, and metadata standards
- Experience with building and deploying applications using Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.
Last updated: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 16:55 UTC