CAROLINE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
IT Manager Job Description
POSITION TITLE: IT Manager
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT STATUS: Exempt
DEPARTMENT and JOB LOCATION: Based in Central Library offering support system-wide. Some travel beyond the county boundaries may be required.
SUPERVISED BY: Executive Director
HOURS & DAYS OF DUTY: Full time, 37.5 hours per week Monday – Friday. Includes some evenings and weekends.
PRINCIPLE PURPOSE OF JOB: Provides computer and network support by designing systems, installing computers and equipment, troubleshooting and providing training and technical support to customers and staff system wide.
- Promotes and maintains the library’s Mission Statement.
- Demonstrates knowledge of established library policies and procedures and the ability to enforce them, referring unusual situations to supervisor or administration.
- Maintains confidentiality according to library policy.
- Regularly and punctually reports to assigned location.
- Demonstrates neatness, accuracy, thoroughness, and general effectiveness of work produced.
- Demonstrates personal responsibility for learning and growth through participating in training programs and workshops in line with agreed upon learning plan.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Contributes to and helps implement the Library’s Strategic Plan.
· Works with administration and other managers to develop and implement department or branch goals within overall system goals.
· Supervises staff as necessary
· Serves as project manager on building and equipment projects as directed.
· Serves as the library representative on statewide IT committees.
- Keeps current in new technologies.
- Recommends, selects, and purchases new technology.
- Orders and receives equipment and computer support supplies.
- Train’s others in use of hardware and software when appropriate
- Supports staff (primarily) and customers in use of hardware and software.
- Troubleshoots computers, peripherals, LANs, and wireless access points.
- Installs computers and peripheral equipment.
- Manages Library NAS and Server infrastructure.
- Manages asset management server (snipe-IT).
- Manages Security Camera systems at all locations.
- Manages Telephone system at all locations.
- Manages Electrical and data wiring at all locations.
- Manages the Library's Mobile device infrastructure for staff.
- Manages and updates externally hosted library websites.
- Oversees Safe Disposal of Hazardous Materials waste, primarily electronics.
- Maintains backups of all information.
- Maintains necessary documentation.
- Maintains library trademarks and intellectual property.
- Maintains a clean and well-run server room.
- Provides first line support for externally maintained regional Integrated Library System (ILS or automated circulation system)
- Works with vendors to manages and maintain AV systems.
- Works with vendors to maintain server room generator, HVAC system and battery backup.
- Coordinates and works on projects with consortial and statewide partners.
Programming & Makerspace services
· Aids the development and management of the Central Library’s Makerspace.
· Provides equipment and oversite for Makerspace equipment/services at NCB and FDBG.
· Supports and facilitates library programming as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Able to work independently.
- Demonstrates ability as team player working with multiple levels of library staff and consortial and statewide partners.
- Demonstrates good written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills.
· Demonstrates decision-making and problem-solving skills with emphasis on personal responsibility and willingness to deal with issues at hand.
· Meets advanced safety/emergency competencies.
· Ability to follow directions and complete tasks in a timely fashion.
· Demonstrates info-sec best practices.
· Proficient at provisioning, cloning and deploying shared workstations using open-source tools.
- Proficient with Microsoft operating systems and productivity suite.
- Proficient with OSX desktop systems.
- Proficient with all supported variants of Ubuntu Server.
- Proficient with Cloud based storage systems.
- Familiarity with virtualization concepts and best practices.
- Has a solid understanding of computer hardware.
Cross platform cloud-based endpoint security management and firewalls
Cloud based web CMS (Wordpress, html5, PHP)
Enterprise services (SQL, DHCP, DNS, NAS, Snipe-IT, Virtualbox)
Ubuntu Server, Rasbian (Shell, Scripting, Cloning)
Windows 10 Pro (Gpedit, Secpol.msc, regedit)
OSX (Shell, Cloning, Backups)
BASH, SSH, Git, BalenaCloud, RDP, RSYNC, WGET.
Telephone – some knowledge of PBX VOIP functionality.
Some eye fatigue from working at computer terminals. Some noise in computer room. Some pressure related to sustained periods of high-volume activity and multiple deadlines. Staff must have knowledge of and use safe workplace practices.
- Requires sitting, standing and walking.
- Requires reaching, bending, and carrying loads up to 50 lbs.
- Requires ability to pull cabling through ceiling and under furniture.
- Requires ability to move about library to work on equipment and in tight areas.
- Ability to read and interpret computer software and hardware manuals.
- Requires ability to operate a keyboard and view a computer monitor.
- Requires ability to communicate using a telephone, email and in person.
- Requires ability to push/pull a pushcart.
NOTE: Certain conditions, e.g., economic constraints or staffing patterns, may necessitate change in job description.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Last updated: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 16:33 UTC