GRINNELL COLLEGE – LIBRARIES -- DISCOVERY, SYSTEMS, AND DIGITAL STRATEGY LIBRARIAN (START SUMMER 2021).
GRINNELL COLLEGE. The Grinnell College Libraries invite applications for a renewable, non-tenure-track faculty position reporting to the Librarian of the College; appointment is possible at either the Assistant or Associate Professor rank. We seek a user-oriented Discovery, Systems, and Digital Strategy (DSDS) Librarian committed to facilitating learning and discovery in support of undergraduate education. As part of the Libraries’ Technology Team and in collaboration with staff in the College’s Information Technology Services department and Digital Liberal Arts Collaborative, the DSDS Librarian will share leadership and responsibility for planning, developing, integrating, implementing, and maintaining the digital systems and services through which the Libraries support users in finding, using, preserving, and sharing information. The DSDS Librarian’s primary focus will include technical aspects of library systems across all the library’s functions, with greater emphasis on the integrated library system, interlibrary services system, and digital repository and publishing systems. All Librarians have departmental liaison responsibilities which include collection development and instruction. The DSDS Librarian supervises 1-2 staff. The Libraries and the College use a mixture of proprietary and open-source systems, including Ex Libris’s Alma ILS and Primo VE discovery layer; Islandora; Open Journal Systems/Open Conference Systems; Omeka-S; Ares; ILLIAD; Access to Memory (AToM); and LibGuides. The position offers monetary support for relocation and ongoing professional development, structured mentoring as part of a new faculty cohort, and exceptional opportunity for creativity in the practice of librarianship, pedagogy, and scholarship. Salary range is $64,000 or higher, depending on qualifications and experience.
Required qualifications (pre-MLS experience is acceptable):
· MLS from an ALA-accredited institution.
· 1+ years work experience in library systems administration OR library technical services.
· Working knowledge of an ILS.
· Familiarity with platforms used to host one or more of the following: digital collections or digital exhibits (e.g., Omeka, ContentDM), institutional repositories (e.g., Islandora, Fedora), and/or digital publishing (e.g., Open Journal Systems, Wordpress, Drupal).
· Familiarity with the MARC cataloging format and/or one or more non-MARC metadata standards (e.g., Dublin Core, VRA).
· Willingness to learn one or more web scripting languages or the Linux operating system.
· Flexibility, self-motivation, and a strong interest in joining a collaborative work environment.
· Interest in the instructional and liaison responsibilities of the position and advancing the Libraries’ foundational commitment to information literacy.
Grinnell College is a highly selective undergraduate liberal arts college with a strong tradition of social responsibility. In letters of application, candidates should discuss their potential to contribute to a college community that maintains a diversity of people and perspectives as one of its core values. To be assured of full consideration, all application materials should be received by April 5, 2021. Please visit our application website at https://jobs.grinnell.edu to find more details about the job and to submit applications online. Candidates will need to upload a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and provide email addresses for three professional references; transcripts will be required of finalists. Questions about this search should be directed to the search chair, Rosenthal Librarian of the College, Mark Christel, at LibrarySearch@grinnell.edu or 641-269-3351.
Grinnell College is committed to providing a safe and inclusive educational and work environment for all College community members, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, religion, disability, creed, or any other protected class.
How to apply
Submitted by: julia-bauder
Published: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 21:45 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 21:45 UTC