POSITION TITLE: Data Analyst
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Information Analyst II
DEPARTMENT: Research Initiatives
The River Campus Libraries seeks a creative and collaborative Data Analyst to join the Research Initiatives department. The Data Analyst plays a key role in encouraging and guiding the high-level collection, use, and analysis of data to support and enrich the university’s research activities, and to understand and demonstrate the impact of the university’s research enterprise. Reporting to the Director of Carlson Science & Engineering Libraries and Research Initiatives, and in close collaboration with library and institutional colleagues, this role provides expertise on research metrics, data analysis and programming, and communicating with data.
The incumbent will leverage data and coding skills, alongside creative approaches to problem solving, to develop tools and analyses that enable evidence-based decision making, and that enhance the programs and services offered in support of university researchers.
Key responsibilities of this role include: developing and maintaining knowledge of the research landscape and associated systems, exploring and analyzing bibliometric and other data, creating compelling data stories and reports, and leveraging new technologies and methods to support the creation and iteration of data-informed programs and services. Alongside library and university colleagues, the Data Analyst helps foster a dynamic and collaborative research environment that encourages scholarly engagement, inquiry, critical thinking, and creativity.
Research Impact Analysis: 40%
· Provides expertise and support on projects that seek to measure and accurately represent the University’s research enterprise in local information systems, as well as external platforms, databases, and information sources
· Conducts ongoing data collection and data analysis to develop and maintain dashboards, models, and other tools focused on monitoring, understanding, and assessing bibliometric indicators related university research activities
· Adopts a technical leadership role on Research Initiatives projects and advises on best practices and approaches to innovate the analysis and use of research impact data
· Remains current on trends and issues in university rankings, research impact, and research evaluation
Communicating with Data: 20%
· Develops reports, visualizations, and other digital or interactive outputs focused on communicating university research impact, research strengths, and emerging trends to decision makers
· With library and university colleagues, leverages data to help tell compelling stories about university research and the role of the library in supporting that work
· Remains current on trends and best practices related to communicating with data
Knowledge Mobilization: 20%
· Provides training, support, and expertise on existing and emerging research tools and workflows, with an emphasis on data-driven methods and practices
· With colleagues in the Research Initiatives department, leverages data to assess researcher needs and create data-informed programs and services
· Remains current on trends and issues in scholarly communications and open scholarship
Outreach and Collaboration: 10%
· Serves as liaison between the Research Initiatives department and library IT, as well as other IT units across the university
· Provides technical expertise on university initiatives related to research impact and research evaluation
Miscellaneous Duties: 10%
· Maintains currency with library functions, resources, practices and procedures
· Participates in and contributes towards River Campus Libraries and University committees, meetings, and events
· Maintains professional collaborations with River Campus Libraries colleagues and university constituencies
· Contributes to the profession through active participation in conferences, associations, research, and writing.
· Performs other duties as assigned
· Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, Digital Humanities or other software- or data-related discipline, or expertise and ability demonstrated by course, project, or career experience
· Demonstrated experience working with Python, in particular data analysis packages like Pandas, Numpy, Scipy, Scikit-Learn, Seaborn, and/or Gensim.
· Demonstrated experience working with APIs and web services
· Demonstrated ability to discover, and quickly become competent using new technologies, software, and devices; willingness to explore the use of innovative technologies with a high tolerance for risk and failure
· Outstanding interpersonal skills and abilities, and comfortable working collaboratively in a team environment
· Self-starter who is flexible, creative, and open to new challenges
· Demonstrated strong commitment to diversity
· Experience working with research impact tools and metrics
· Experience in network science analytics
All applicants must apply online at https://universityofrochester.jobs/.
Click here to apply to this position or search Job ID 226587.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 19:12 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 19:12 UTC