Reporting to the Library Director, the Senior Research and Data Librarian will evaluate, support, and make recommendations on Library and Knowledge Services (LKS) services, particularly those focused on data services. This position supports research services and collaborates on collection development. The role will work closely with the Library Director on projects, particularly on assessment of research and research data management services. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community of staff, faculty, and students, and we seek candidates who share our value and commitment.
- Serves as a resource to faculty, staff, and students on issues of data curation, data management, and research dissemination and preservation, assuming an active role in learning about emerging trends and practices at Harvard and the wider scholarly community.
- Working closely with the Library Director, establish strategic plan for a research data management (RDM) program at HKS, inclusive of data onboarding/offboarding training and data management plan consultation with researchers. RDM will focus on supporting the lifecycle of data from acquisition and/or creation of data through the dissemination and preservation, inclusive of curation, management, and analysis.
- Evaluate and support LKS research communications and dissemination services and initiatives; progressing and assessing established initiatives and establishing recommendations on new services and resources through close collaboration with research communication staff across HKS, including within LKS and the Office of Communications and Public Affairs.
- Deliver high quality, user-centered library and research services
- Evaluates data and research resources with Manager of Collections & Library Services, rationalizing collection development strategy and budget to consider and support various models of data acquisition
- Leads with the Manager of Collections & Library Services multifaceted internal communication efforts to promote awareness and discovery of library-managed resources and services
- Works closely with the Director and Manager of Collections & Library Services on professional development of LKS staff to meet the evolving needs of the community we serve.
Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent degree and a minimum 3 years of professional experience in leading or establishing a research data management program, an analytics program, or data services in a research organization.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Passionate about research, scholarly communications, data, and delivering substantive and responsive resources and services to your community
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Any combination of the below is a plus:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written.
- Experience improving research dissemination tactics in a decentralized organization
- Basic understanding of marketing fundamentals and a desire to learn more
- Experience in higher education
This position is a one year term appointment from the date of hire, with the possibility of renewal.
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Please note: During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with transition to onsite in Cambridge, Massachusetts when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 02:23 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 02:23 UTC