The University of Colorado Libraries encourages applications for a Digital Library Software Developer! This position reports to the Head of Core Technology and Applications and uses best-practices in software engineering and product development to build and maintain large-scale digital library systems that contribute to the realization of organizational strategic goals. This includes technologies that facilitate scholarly research, digital asset management and preservation, publishing, and broad open access to digital collections. They build new applications and contribute to the growth of existing applications and, by extension, develops APIs, microservices, system integrations, and other software components to manage the creation, storage, retrieval, and archiving of a wide array of digital objects, including monographic and serialized collections, research data sets, geospatial data, digitized special collections materials, archival finding aids, audio, video, and more. They also contribute to the development of user interfaces to discover, manage, and display them. Working collaboratively with team members, library faculty/staff, and other campus partners, they execute assigned projects in accordance with established priorities and plans, while embracing industry best-practices in DevOps, Agile software development, open source product adoption, public cloud infrastructure, QA/testing, and information security.
Who We Are
We are a knowledge catalyst. We spark inquiry, discovery, collaboration, creation, and the dissemination of knowledge. We welcome everyone, wherever they are on their educational journey.
An information-empowered world.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop, modify, and maintain library full-stack applications and related software.
- Deploy open source software solutions; actively participate in and contribute to the associated development communities.
- Use DevOps, Agile, and other industry best practices throughout the development lifecycle to ensure solutions are reliable, scalable, accessible, and secure.
- Review solution designs for correctness; conduct unit, functional, system, and integration tests as required.
- Work collaboratively with Product Owners and other stakeholders to ensure applications are performing as expected and continue to deliver value.
- Respond to incident and general requests.
- Using established architectural specifications as a guide, support the maintenance and growth of the library's technology ecosystem, including the library services platform (catalog), discovery services, and digital asset management technologies.
- Collaborate with software developers and architects to ensure there is a common understanding of implemented solutions, including participating in code reviews and other development activities under direction of Digital Library Senior Software Developer as required.
- Use best-practices in project/product management to ensure implementation targets are met.
- Maintain product documentation; report regularly on progress.
- Participate in retrospective and post-mortems to identify potential areas for improvement and as a means of sharing knowledge with other members of the team.
- Consults with Digital Library Senior Software Developer as needed.
- Actively participate in professional development activities to expand knowledge and skills and to maintain technical proficiencies.
- Stay abreast of new developments and trends in library technologies.
- Participate in library/campus committees and working groups.
- Work collaboratively with multi-functional teams comprising library faculty/staff, campus partners, and external partners to achieve common goals.
What You Should Know
This position can be fully remote. This is a fully-benefitted 18-month appointment, with the possibility for the appointment to be extended.
Be Effective. Be Creative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- 1+ years of professional, job related experience.
What You Will Need
- Proven skill in analyzing sophisticated problems and producing concrete, impactful solutions, specifically as it pertains to production troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with developing automation and containerization solutions using tools such as Jenkins, Docker, and Ansible.
- Ability to learn new technical skills and adapt to emerging technologies.
- Superb communication skills.
- Strong service and customer engagement orientation.
- Excellent task management skill and ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to cultivate an environment of diversity, inclusion, and respect.
What We Would Like You to Have
- Master’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience resolving highly sophisticated integration issues involving multiple technologies and business areas.
- Demonstrated experience with data management software such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB, and search/indexing software such as Apache Solr.
- Demonstrated experience deploying solutions in public cloud infrastructure, e.g., AWS.
- Demonstrated proficiency working in a DevOps culture using Agile development methods and tools, Git repositories, Kanban boards, and other development tools.
- Professional experience developing library technologies.
- Experience with open source products such as FOLIO, Blacklight, Samvera, Omeka, ArchivesSpace, Fedora, Solr.
- Familiarity with digital library metadata concepts and standards such as XML, OAI-PMH, Dublin Core, and MODS.
- Proven success participating in and contributing to open source projects.
Special Application Instructions
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by February 7, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
How to apply
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
Published: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 18:59 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 18:59 UTC