What you will be doing:
The incumbent serves as the Systems Librarian, applying knowledge and understanding of digital platforms, specialized library software and internet systems to manage, maintain and improve ARLIS technology systems. This position also provides reference services to a wide array of natural resource researchers through the Alaska Resources Library & Information Services (ARLIS), primarily to Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADFG) staff and secondarily to ARLIS founding government agencies (Founders) and other ARLIS users. The position is part of the ARLIS Management Team, applying working knowledge of library principles, methods, practices, and resources to assist in directing the operational, professional and administrative functions of ARLIS, with emphasis representing the mission of ADFG in planning ARLIS services and operations.
Our organization, mission, and culture:
ADFG protects, maintains, and improves the fish, game, and aquatic plant resources of the state, and manages their use and development in the best interest of the economy and the well-being of the people of the state, consistent with the sustained yield principle. The incumbent works with staff in all ADFG divisions statewide to better ensure ADFG survey, research and management of fish, wildlife and habitats apply the best available scientific methods, and supports research project planning and report writing activities through delivery of relevant scientific literature.
Benefits of joining our team:
As a member of the ADFG team, you will play a key role providing reference and information services support to a diversity of staff researching and assessing fish and wildlife populations, habitats and human use. This position also serves on the ARLIS Management Team which implements the overall policies, procedures, and program evaluations of the library, with special emphasis on the ARLIS information technology-based services to library users.
The working conditions you can expect:
The position is located in Anchorage with work performed largely at the University of Alaska – Anchorage Consortium Library where ARLIS is housed, but at times ADFG-specific business require working at the Anchorage Fish and Game building. The incumbent has a walled, private office in both locations and spends time in the various ARLIS collections assessing and/or retrieving reference and other ARLIS collection materials, as well as working the ARLIS reference desk.
We are looking for a candidate that possesses some or all of the following position-specific competencies (All of these traits must be documented in your cover letter and applicant profile. If you do not have experience with one or more of the traits listed below, simply say so):
- Experience conducting complex literature and reference searches using paper, online databases and web-based resources, with main focus on fish and wildlife science and broader focus on scientific disciplines of ARLIS Founding agencies, including legal research.
- Experience in a library workplace performing day-to-day decision making, assisting in management of daily operations and cyclical activities, and assisting in personnel decisions.
- Working knowledge of library collections and information retrieval systems, including physical materials, online databases, web-based resources and other digital reference materials used by the library.
- Experience managing and trouble-shooting problems to maintain, develop and improve ARLIS library information technology systems.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships and communication, both orally and in writing, with fish and wildlife biologists, natural resource professionals, administrative staff, professional peers both within and outside ADFG and other Founder agencies, and the public.
Master's degree from an accredited college in library or information science, media services, or a closely related field.
How to apply
Celia Rozen, ADF&G Librarian (retiring)
ARLIS Management Team
Alaska Resources Library & Information Services (ARLIS)
3211 Providence Drive
Library Suite 111
Anchorage, AK 99508
Published: Friday, January 22, 2021 18:12 UTC
Last updated: Friday, January 22, 2021 18:12 UTC