Library Web Applications Developer
Created: November 26, 2012
Rice University Houston1 other recent jobs
DescriptionRice University is a small private research university located in Houston, Texas, across from the Texas Medical Center. It has approximately 6,000 total undergraduate and graduate students and has a student to faculty ratio of less than 6 to 1.Rice University
Summary: The Library Web Applications Developer II designs, develops, codes, tests, implements and manages innovative and complex web-based applications that improve the user experience in discovering, accessing, and using library resources and services. S/he gathers requirements, writes code, maintains documentation and works with the Web/Graphic Designer on web design and layout. S/he is responsible for maintaining various local and cloud based servers. This position reports to the Assistant University Librarian for Information Technology.
Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
Computer/information science/systems or an equivalent degree. May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.
Experience Required: 5 years
Five years of progressive work experience in designing, developing, coding and maintaining data-driven applications. Three years of work experience in maintaining Windows and Unix/Linux servers in a large networked environment.
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
- Experience in an academic library.
- Experience with search/library discovery and/or repository applications.
- Project management experience.
Other Skills Required: Significant experience managing sophisticated web and database projects in all phases (design, testing, production) to schedule and budget.
Other Skills Preferred: Solid understanding of current web standards as recommended by W3C including accessibility standards and cross browser issues.
- To work with open source products - Plone, Python, Drupal, Fedora and DSpace
-To design relational databases using any of the following - MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL,or SQL server.
-To work in a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or Tomcat environment.
- To work in Linux, Windows, and Mac platforms.
-Expert level HTML and CSS, with understanding of HTML5 and CSS3.
-Strong creative, conceptual, and problem-solving skills.
-Ability to manage and prioritize tasks and work in a team.
-Strong oral and written communication skills.
Security Sensitive: Yes
Essential Job Duties:
- Design, develop, test, code, implement and manage complex web applications.
- Meet with users to gather requirements of project and plan and prepare technical design and qualifications.
- Work with Graphic Designer to layout user interface for project.
- Work with the Digital Library to assist on digital projects.
- Contribute to User Interface/User Experience and Usability testing.
- Analyze, modify and maintain existing applications.
- Prepare technical, operational and user related documentation in support of applications.
- Research emerging technologies to extend and enhance library projects.
- Work with Library Systems team to make sure applications interface with all aspects of library services.
- Maintain servers locally and in the cloud for 24x7 uptime.
- Administer, install, configure, troubleshoot, and monitor web servers as well as other library project servers.
-Other duties as assigned
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC
How to apply
Published: Monday, November 26, 2012 15:53 UTC