Head of Technical Services
Grinnell College Libraries seeks applications from innovative, dedicated, and team-oriented librarians interested in becoming our Head of Technical Services. This is a renewable, non-tenure-track position reporting to the Librarian of the College and appointment is possible at either the Assistant or Associate Professor rank. The person moving into this vital leadership role will plan and facilitate the work of cataloging and acquisition staff; perform original and copy cataloging using OCLC Connexion, RDA and LC Classification; create metadata for licensed and open source information resources; manage critical components of the electronic resources life cycle; and collaborate with other library departments to support our systems and discovery platforms, including our Unified Library Management System (Ex Libris Alma/Primo). All librarians have departmental liaison responsibilities which include collection development and instruction. The successful candidate will also commit to conducting scholarship and service activities consistent with a tenure-track faculty appointment and to maintaining skills and knowledge through continuing professional development. Minimum starting salary of $72,000 at the Asst. Prof. rank or $80,000 at the Assoc. Prof. rank.
· Graduate degree from an ALA-accredited program.
· Minimum of 3 years of technical services experience.
· Working knowledge of metadata standards and schema, MARC21, LCC, LCSH, RDA, FRBR, and emerging linked data standards.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Supervisory experience and/or evidence of the ability to be an effective team leader who fosters an inclusive, efficient, and collegial workplace.
· Interest in the instructional and liaison responsibilities of the position and advancing the Libraries’ foundational commitment to research education.
· Flexibility, self-motivation, and a strong interest in joining a collaborative work environment.
· Ability to be effective and inclusive in working with a diverse campus community that makes heavy demands on library services.
· Knowledge of issues related to electronic resource management.
· Ability to adapt quickly to new standards and technologies and a willingness to explore and implement new technologies, standards, and practices to enhance services and complete tasks more efficiently.
Grinnell College is a highly selective undergraduate liberal arts college with a strong tradition of social responsibility. In letters of application, candidates should discuss their interest in developing as a librarian in a highly selective undergraduate liberal arts college that emphasizes close student-faculty interaction. They should also discuss their potential to contribute to a college community that maintains a diversity of people and perspectives as one of its core values. Candidates will need to upload a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and provide email addresses for three professional references. Review of applications will begin Feb. 1, 2021, and continue until the position is filled. Please visit our application website at https://jobs.grinnell.edu/postings/3457 to find more details about the job and submit applications online. Questions about this search should be directed to the search chair, Mark Christel, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 641-269-3352.
Grinnell College is committed to establishing and maintaining a safe and nondiscriminatory educational environment for all College community members. It is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in matters of admission, employment, and housing, and in access to and participation in its education programs, services, and activities. The college does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, religion, disability, creed, or any other protected class.
An offer for this position will be contingent on successful completion of a background check.
How to apply
Questions about this search should be directed to the search chair, Mark Christel, at email@example.com or 641-269-3352.
Published: Friday, December 18, 2020 14:14 UTC
Last updated: Friday, December 18, 2020 14:14 UTC