Created: November 21, 2012
California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo0 other recent jobs
DescriptionSalary Range $57,000 -$70,000/year; commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Pay Basis Monthly
Pay Plan 12-month
Position Description: Under the direction of the Director, Information Resources and Archives, and working closely with the Head, Special Collections and University Archives, the incumbent will lead the ongoing technical and programmatic development of digital university archives and special collections, and provide leadership and coordination to explore, adapt and implement digital asset technologies in support of campus digital media collections, programs and services.
This position will collaborate with librarians, including the Digital Scholarship Services Librarian, information technologists, faculty and campus partners to develop and implement the infrastructure, programs and services to support the use of digital media (images, video, and other rich media) in student and faculty research and the campus curriculum.
Minimum Qualifications (Staff Only)
Required Qualifications / Specialized Skills
- MLS from an ALA accredited program, or comparable library experience with other related advanced subject degree.
- Minimum 2 years professional experience working in special collections, digital records management, digital humanities, or comparable educational or research field.
- Experience working with digital collections asset management platforms (preferably CONTENTdm).
- Experience with metadata standards for digital collections (Dublin Core, DACS, METS, MODS, EAD, VRA, RDA and MARC).
- Demonstrated ability to plan, implement and successfully complete projects.
- Knowledge of copyright and open access issues pertinent to the curation and use of images and other digital assets.
- Understanding of digital media trends and initiatives as they apply in an academic environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate across a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and foster effective working relationships within an academic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collegially in a team setting.
- Demonstrated competency working with computer applications and the ability to learn new software applications.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills
- Demonstrated experience working with a wide range of file formats (e.g. JPEG, JPEG2000, TIFF, MPEG, AVI, MOV).
- Experience working with born digital or electronic records.
- Familiarity with OAIS and TRAC/TDR Checklist models.
- Experience applying knowledge of usability concepts.
- Knowledge of the research and reference protocols associated with the use of archival materials.
- Experience collaborating with faculty.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
Job Open Date 11-20-2012
Review Begin Date 01-02-2013
How to Apply
To apply, please visit WWW.CALPOLYJOBS.ORG, complete the required online faculty application and submit it to Requisition #102708. Online attachments should include a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, and include list of 3 references on application. Three letters of recommendation and original transcripts will be required of finalists. Review of applications will begin January 2, 2013. For more information about the Kenned Library, please see: http://lib.calpoly.edu/about/jobs.
Department Information (Faculty)
About the Kennedy Library:
The Robert E. Kennedy Library is a campus hub for information resources, integrating traditional library resources and technology to support the University's evolving academic programs, research interests, and user needs. Annual visitors exceed 1.3 million. The Library partners with several other campus organizations, including the Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology, the Academic Skills Program, the Honors Program, and Information Technology Services. For more information, see: http://lib.calpoly.edu/
About Special Collections and University Archives:
The Special Collections Department acquires, preserves, interprets, and provides access to primary resources (archival collections, rare books, manuscripts and other types of materials that libraries might separate from general collections for special curatorial treatment). These primary source materials support the polytechnic curriculum of the university. The University Archives is the official repository for the historical records of California Polytechnic State University. http://lib.calpoly.edu/specialcollections/
About Cal Poly:
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked comprehensive public university located in San Luis Obispo, California. With approximately 18,000 undergraduates and approximately 1000 graduate students, Cal Poly fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students and faculty are partners in discovery. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly promotes the application of theory to practice. As a comprehensive institution, Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. As an academic community, Cal Poly values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. For more information, see:
About the San Luis Obispo Area:
Cal Poly is located in San Luis Obispo, along the beautiful central coast of California, with easy access to the ocean, mountains, and wine country. Halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, south of Monterey and Big Sur, San Luis Obispo offers a vibrant, culturally rich small-town community in an extraordinary setting. For more information, see:
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 18:06 UTC