LYRASIS is seeking an experienced iOS application developer to help enhance an Open Source mobile eBook Application.
Library Simplified is an open-source e-book/a-book content aggregator developed for public library use by the New York Public Library. It aggregates content from a library's e- and a-book vendors, integrates with the library's ILS for patron access, and provides access to the content. It provides all this content to library patrons for checkout and downloads via a mobile app (iOS and Android) called SimplyE.
This is a grant-funded position for 24 months.
Be a self-starter with a high degree of autonomy and self-direction and can work in close collaboration with internal colleagues and a virtual community. This role will work closely with our ops team and community engineering partners to add new features, improve existing code and troubleshoot issues in the SimplyE mobile app. Our goals are to build a great eBook reading and audio-book listening experience while simultaneously contributing to a vibrant open-source community to ensure long term access and sustainability.
Open-source code available here: https://github.com/NYPL-Simplified/
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years of programming experience
- 3+ years of experience with iOS development (e.g. Swift, Objective-C, et cetera)
- Experience designing concurrent, performance-sensitive applications
- Strong command of Git or a similar DVCS
- Familiarity with test driven development and software testing
- Proven ability to interact with other developers and business teams
- Effective oral and written communication skills including writing technical documentation
- Self-starter that excels in time management, organization, and prioritization
- Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in a related field
- Code from a previous project that we can see
- At least one mobile application in the App Store
- Experience writing specifications for client-server protocols
- Working knowledge of Objective-C and Cocoa Touch
- Experience with accessibility in mobile apps
- Experience working on a remote team
- Experience contributing to an open-source project
The position is part of a geographically and institutionally distributed team, and, as such, applications from candidates interested in telecommuting are welcome.
To Apply: All applications MUST be submitted with a cover letter for consideration
LYRASIS is a 501 c 3 non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support enduring access to the world's shared academic, scientific and cultural heritage through leadership in open technologies, content services, digital solutions and collaboration with archives, libraries, museums and knowledge communities worldwide. LYRASIS organizational and staff values are: communication, respect, collaboration, impact, and service.
LYRASIS was created by its members to help them tackle wide-reaching challenges with a collective strength, including: the development and selection of new technology solutions; fostering community-wide projects that help deliver better outcomes and services; content creation, acquisition and management; support for new content models and strategies; and large-scale knowledge management programs unique to collections-holding institutions.
With an organizational history dating back to 1936, LYRASIS is home to more than 1,000 member academic and public libraries, museums, archives and other collections-holding organizations located in 28 countries. With a global staff of over 60 experts and professionals, LYRASIS is organized into three primary units of focus community supported/open source software, technology hosting services and content creation and acquisition. In addition to these business units, we also offer specific programs such as consulting, training, fiscal services and more.
Supporting these three units are dedicated teams including member outreach and member services (sales and customer service), marketing and communications, fiscal operations, grant writing and licensing. These are unique functional areas and benefits afforded the member.
Ultimately, LYRASIS helps its members amplify their impact and influence, participate in global programs, create and deliver better programs and services to their communities, while still maintaining their unique collections, cultures and identities.
At LYRASIS, one of our core values is to provide an inclusive environment to all who are employed here. Therefore, the company is intentional in providing fair and equitable employment opportunities to all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Last updated: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 21:23 UTC