This position is located in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR), Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL) with one vacancy in Boulder, CO.
As a Technical Information Specialist, you will perform the following duties:
- Serve as the main contact point for electronic information tools, services, and OCLC World Share Management Services (WMS). Streamline procedures and workflows for making the Library’s electronic collections discoverable and accessible. Update and maintain WMS for the delivery of library content.
- Coordinate with publishers and vendors to collect and analyze usage statistics for all electronic resources and services. Use library collections data analytics to inform collection management, database and journal renewals and cancellations. Produce data visualizations to communicate results of data analysis.
- Coordinate journal and database acquisitions operations. Act as liaison with the Library’s subscription agent for the ordering and renewal of journals and databases.
- Serve as library webmaster to ensure website is kept updated. Use statistical software to monitor usage.
- Assist and instruct staff and patrons on the use of electronic information products, software and systems. Conduct troubleshooting of library resource access issues and of WMS.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https://www.opm.gov/policy
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position has a positive Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of Specialized Experience OR substitution of education for experience OR combination (if applicable) in order to be found minimally qualified. Transcripts must be submitted with your application package. You MUST meet the following requirements:
To qualify for the 1412 series:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position requires applicants to meet a Basic Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of specialized experience in order to be found minimally qualified. You MUST meet one of the following basic education requirements:
A. Education: A full 4-year course of study that meets all the requirements for a bachelor's degree with major study in the subject-matter field of the position to be filled.
B. Experience: Four years of experience that provided a knowledge of the basic principles, theories, practices, techniques, and terminology of a discipline or subject-matter field; an understanding of the standard methods, procedures, and techniques of research and analysis in the subject-matter field; and where appropriate, ability to read and comprehend nontechnical material in one or more foreign languages. Such experience must have been equivalent to that which would have been gained through a 4-year college curriculum.
C. A combination of education and experience as described above.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
This experience need not have been in the federal government. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the ZA-2 or GS-09 level:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZA-2 or GS-07 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Providing support for technical information services in a library associated with an academic institution; or a specialized library associated with a government agency, corporation, medical facility, law firm, or professional society; or any other comparable institutions;
- Assisting in the training of other library staff and users on the use of electronic information products, software or systems.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or master's or equivalent graduate degree, e.g., LL.B. or J.D., related to the position.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A combination of education and experience as described above. Note: Only graduate-level education in excess of one year is qualifying for combination of education and experience.
How to apply
See job ad
Published: Thursday, September 24, 2020 16:40 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, September 24, 2020 16:40 UTC