The Bard Graduate Center (BGC), a division of Bard College, is seeking a
full-time Technical services & Systems Librarian.
The BGC offers MA and PhD programs in the study of the cultural history of
the material world and is committed to the encyclopedic study of things,
drawing on methodologies and approaches from art and design history,
history of technology, philosophy, anthropology, and archaeology and
cultural history. Founded in 1993, the BGC is located on West 86th Street
in New York City.
*Basic Function:*Reporting to the Director of the Library at the Bard
Graduate Center, and working closely with other library staff, the
Technical Services and Systems Librarian is a full-time staff position that
oversees all aspects of technical services and database systems that
support library functions.
*Characteristic Duties & Responsibilities: *
- Manages the implementation, ongoing development, and maintenance of
the library’s discovery tools. Works across departments and collaborates
with outside developers to customize tools and ensure continued development.
- Collaborates across departments to ensure metadata standards are in
place for digital projects.
- Manages all aspects of technical services workflow and quality
control, including database management, planning for future initiatives,
proposing technological solutions and supervising cataloging staff.
- Responsible for original and copy cataloging of materials in all
formats and a variety of languages.
- Works with Library Director to establish departmental policies and
procedures, as well as long-range planning.
- Write and implement policies and best practices for development,
management, preservation and access of physical and digital archival
- Oversee and facilitate the use of archives at Bard Hall and via the
- Oversee ArchivesSpace softward and LibraryHost.
- Research, evaluate and implement new software for archives management
- Coordinates the implementation and maintenance of new library
software, electronic resources and upgrades.
- Responsible for local system administration of the ILS and OPAC, OCLC,
and online periodicals tools, including changing local settings and running
- Collaborates with other staff members on maintaining the Library’s web
- Implements and maintains online database subscriptions.
- Participates in reference services, bibliographic instruction, staff
training, and collection development.
- Compiles monthly statistics for technical services, and as needed for
other areas of the library.
- Coordinates tasks for campus employees.
- Acts as the liaison with Bard College librarians in regards to shared
- ALA-accredited MLS with at least 2 years of professional experience.
- Thorough knowledge of cataloging principles and procedures including
AACR2/RDA, USMARC formats, LCSH, authority control, and LC classification.
- In-depth experience with an integrated library system and online
serials tools (Innovative Interfaces and OCLC preferred).
- Excellent database management skills, proxy server maintenance
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
a diverse community of colleagues and library users. Ability to work
independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of 1 or more foreign languages.
- Work experience or education in art history, decorative arts, or
material culture preferred.
- Familiarity with open source library tools and their implementation.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for
three references to TSSL@bgc.bard.edu. No telephone calls please.
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications
from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable
accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services,
programs, and activities.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 16:09 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 16:09 UTC