DescriptionKansas State University Libraries At Kansas State University Libraries, we are an ambitious organization that aims to be an innovator in library services. Our people are the most important asset in the pursuit of achieving our goals. Therefore, we actively recruit talented individuals with diverse skill sets, backgrounds, and ways of thinking. We seek strong communicators who relish productive collaborations with friendly colleagues. As our organization strongly believes in innovation, we especially value creative problem-solvers who thrive in an environment of change and have the ability to inspire others. The Libraries have a vision to grow, and we are very supportive of our staff’s professional development. In addition to five specialized branch libraries, Hale Library, the main library, is a splendid building located in the center of the university’s picturesque campus, with a spacious interior that creates a comfortable and relaxing work environment. If this sounds like a place that suits your personality and work style, and if you are someone who would like to be an active part of a library’s exciting growth, please consider applying for the following position.
Kansas State University Libraries invite applications and nominations for the position of Metadata Librarian. To support the University’s goal of becoming a top-50 public research university by 2025, this new position will lead efforts to catalog and provide metadata for unique and hidden materials in archives and special collections, including our extensive cookery and consumer movement collections and our growing digital collections; provide traditional and non-traditional metadata expertise within and beyond the libraries; and be an active member of the Metadata & Preservation Management Team. There is also the opportunity to directly supervise additional staff involved in like work. We are seeking a technology savvy individual with a demonstrated ability to adapt to and learn relevant technologies.
This is a full-time tenure track position, and the candidate must have a commitment to scholarly/creative activities and professional service necessary for pursuing tenure at Kansas State University Libraries. This position reports to the Head, Metadata & Preservation Department.
- Perform original and complex copy cataloging for library materials in a variety of formats and languages with a special emphasis on archival and special collections materials
- Provide and enhance metadata for digital materials
- Partner with the Scholarly Communications and Publishing Department and the Archives and Special Collections Department to provide metadata leadership and direct support for various digital projects
- Create effective documentation and revise metadata policies and procedures
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program
- Minimum two-years cataloging experience
- Demonstrated ability to perform original and copy cataloging using AACR2, LC classification, authority control practices, LCSH, MARC, and other related bibliographic tools
- Evidence of strong analytic and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and lead projects
- Knowledge of emerging cataloging rules and standards (RDA, FRBR, FRAD, etc.)
- Experience cataloging unique and/or rare materials
- Experience with OCLC, DSpace or other digital collection management system, or integrated library system, specially Voyager
Knowledge of and practical experience with the following standards and tools:
- Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books) (DCRM(B)
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS)
- Dublin Core, EAD, METS, MODS, XML, PREMIS and/or other non-MARC standards
- Professional or paraprofessional experience in an academic library
Affectionately nicknamed “The Little Apple,” Manhattan is an up-and-coming community located in the charming Flint Hills region of Kansas, which consists of continuous rolling hills covered in tall grasses. It was named "One of the Best Places to Live / Top 25 Best Commuting Times" by Money Magazine and one of the "50 Best Places to Live" by Men's Journal. Forbes Magazine rated Manhattan #1 for "Best Small Communities for a Business and Career." Manhattan is one of the true classic college towns in the country. It is a great place to enjoy Big XII sports, wonderful restaurants, superb outdoor recreation, and ever-growing shopping choices. Manhattan, with a highly regarded public school system, is widely considered to be a fantastic place to raise a family. Manhattan High School is rated in top 5% of high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek magazine. Overall, Manhattan has big city advantages, while still being a 15 minute town. It is situated just off Interstate 70, less than two hours west of Kansas City. The regional airport offers multiple daily direct flights to Dallas and Chicago. While the main campus is located in Manhattan, Kansas State also has campuses located in Salina and Olathe.
Salary: The Libraries aim to attract outstanding talents, and we offer competitive salary in recognition of responsibilities and experience.
- •A letter of application. To greatly strengthen your application, please apply your communication skills to clearly address the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above, and demonstrate how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization.
- •A curriculum vitae
- •Names and contact information for three references to email@example.com, attention Michelle Bowen. Please include METADATA in the subject line. Deadline for applying is December 5, 2012.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees and is an affirmative
action/equal opportunity employer. Background check required.
How to apply
XML Voyager Resource Description and Access Preservation Metadata: Implementation Strategies OCLC METS Metadata Object Description Standard Metadata MARC standards Library of Congress Subject Headings Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records Encoded Archival Description Dublin Core DSpace Digital preservation
Published: Sunday, November 11, 2012 20:59 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC