Social Science Data Specialist
Created: November 11, 2012
Tufts University Medford0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Research and Instruction Department coordinates library support for learning, teaching, and research within the School of Arts & Sciences and the School of Engineering. Research and Instruction Librarians provide research assistance services for faculty, students, and staff, offered within the library and virtually; partner with faculty to incorporate curriculum-based research and information literacy activities into courses; design library instruction workshops for students and faculty; and develop new models and programs to support research and the educational mission of the University.
Reporting to the Head of Research and Instruction, the Social Sciences Data Specialist leads the development and provision of library services in the discovery and use of locally and externally available datasets by researchers across departments and programs in the Social Sciences.
Working with a broad range of researchers, the successful candidate builds relationships with faculty and students, increases the visibility of available data resources and services, seeks to understand research practices, and meets curricular needs in the use of data-related library resources and services by providing individual research support consultations, group instruction sessions, and other programming as required.
- Bachelor's with an advanced degree OR equivalent coursework in social sciences
- Experience building relationships in an academic setting, and/or working with/supporting students and faculty in academic departments via outreach, research assistance, or teaching
- Demonstrated Knowledge of Quantitative software packages utilize in the social sciences such as Stata, SPSS or SAS
- Masters of Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Experience with library research tools relevant to the Social Sciences
- Knowledge of major qualitative software packages used in the Social Sciences such as NVivo and ATLAS.ti
- Knowledge surrounding the application of Geographical Information Systems and related software
- Knowledge of the scholarly communications process (publishing, copyright, repositories)
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC