Director of Technology Solutions
The University of Virginia Library is seeking a Director of Technology Solutions to join our Information Technology team. Reporting to the Executive Director for Information Technology, the Director leads a team to support the research, adoption, and use of third-party commercial and open source applications for the Library to improve and enhance library services and user experience.
The Director of Technology Solutions designs and delivers integrated technology solutions that align to library needs and strategies. They assist users in articulating service requirements and overseeing the translation into technical specifications to ensure that their requirements are met, and direct user experience testing and data collection. The Director manages the installation, use, and development of support structures for systems – incorporating UX and accessibility as integral components of project success and coordinates product maintenance post-implementation. They provide leadership on complex projects and serve as a general team lead/project manager when needed. The Director works with stakeholders to determine immediate and long-term needs for information systems or services, and partner with the developer team when custom software development is needed. This position provides the opportunity to collaborate and coordinate with many areas throughout the UVA Library and the larger UVA community to develop and implement various systems that will benefit the academic research library environment.
In order to be successful, applicants should have experience leading a team to analyze business needs and translate those needs into specifications that can be applied to evaluating open source and commercial solutions.
- A High School Diploma and 5 years of experience with systems analysis, implementation, and/or design is required
- Project management experience is essential
- Strong working knowledge of and experience with user experience methodology, user interface design methods, accessibility standards and test strategies is required
- Applicants must have demonstrated outstanding interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Bachelor’s degree or an ALA- accredited MLIS/MIS in library and information science or advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- Previous supervisory experience
- A demonstrated commitment to a framework of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all recruitment, hiring, and retention
- Experience in an academic research library or other higher education environment
- Familiarity with agile project management methodologies and tools
Physical Requirements: This positon requires extensive use of desktop computers, the role may require walking to and from meetings, as well as standing, bending, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to the first day of employment per University policy.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 18:20 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 18:20 UTC