Georgetown University Law Library, located in the nation’s capital, and within walking distance of the U.S. Congress and the Supreme Court, is one of the country’s premier legal research institutions, with a dynamic staff of more than 50 and a collection exceeding one million volumes. We strive to live up to our motto: “Supporting Scholarship, Excelling in Service, Leading in Technology.”
The Head of Cataloging and Metadata oversees the Cataloging and Metadata Department, providing intellectual access to material owned or accessed by the library. The unit catalogs material in all formats, provides authority control and database maintenance, and prepares materials for the shelf. This workflow is essential for ensuring accurate and useful metadata that makes the library collection an effective research tool for students, faculty, and staff. The Head of Cataloging and Metadata manages all aspects of the Cataloging and Metadata Department, including supervising two staff positions, collaborating with partner libraries in a consortium setting, and managing relationships and requests from partners internal and external to the library. This position reports to the Law Library Deputy Director.
• Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited school of library and/or information studies
• Three years of experience in cataloging work, including experience with substantial original cataloging
• Experience using a bibliographic utility (preferably OCLC) and an integrated library system (preferably Ex Libris Alma)
• Mastery of traditional cataloging rules (especially RDA), standards and practices; experience classifying materials in the LC classification system
• Willingness to explore and apply metadata schemes to organize and provide access to digital collections
• Ability to manage multiple responsibilities in a dynamic and changing environment
• Commitment to enhancing services through teamwork and responsiveness to clients
• Knowledge of database design/management
• Knowledge of legal materials and experience classifying them in the LC classification system
• Knowledge of foreign languages, particularly German or Spanish
• Experience working with emerging technologies
• Supervisory experience and/or demonstrated leadership potential
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit an application via the Georgetown University Career Opportunities website (position JR08296). Include a cover letter addressed to Jeff Gerhard, a current resume, and the names and contact information for three references. Preferably these documents should be combined into a single PDF. To ensure full consideration, please submit your application before Monday, February 24, when review of resumes will begin. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact Jeff Gerhard, search committee chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Last updated: Monday, January 27, 2020 03:34 UTC