The Geospatial Data, GIS, and Maps Librarian serves the spatial needs of JHU students, faculty, and researchers through consultation and instruction. Additionally, the position manages and develops programming for collections of geospatial data and print and digital maps, including the largest collection of historical maps of Baltimore. The Geospatial Data, GIS, and Maps Librarian will join the Data Services team, administratively located in the Data Management Directorate for the Sheridan Librarians & Museums. The hired candidate will help expand programming and instruction with spatial tools and concepts within the library and across campus.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Provision of User Services
- Provide in-depth consultations to faculty, students, and staff related to the use of GIS applications, geospatial data, maps, and atlases.
- Develop and deliver instruction sessions on GIS, geospatial data and concepts, maps, and atlases through course-integrated instruction and open workshops
- Develop online tools and resources for geospatial data and map users, such as LibGuides
Collection Management for Geospatial Resources
- Serve as the lead managing the collection of maps and atlases, including acquisition of new materials and collection maintenance.
- Coordinate with colleagues in the library to process new acquisitions, including cataloging and conservation
- Initiate and direct the digitization process for relevant print maps, in coordination with other colleagues in the library
- Serve as the lead for the acquisition of geospatial data and databases, in collaboration with other colleagues in the library
- Participate in metadata and description projects for geospatial resources held by the library
- Participate in the library project to launch a geospatial data repository using GeoBlacklight to enhance the discovery and access of geospatial data and scanned maps for JHU affiliates
All Data Services team members
- Participate in regular meetings and serve on committees, task forces, and working groups as appropriate.
- Contribute to providing responsive data reference in-person and via email
- Conduct other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
- ALA-accredited master’s or other advanced degree in a discipline working with GIS, geography, or spatial analysis.
- Three years professional library experience
- Demonstrated experience with using GIS applications including the ESRI suite of ArcGIS applications.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technical skills, evidence of ongoing self-directed learning
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Ability to represent the Libraries to University and external audiences.
- Commitment to providing excellent service developing relationships with students, faculty, and researchers
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a diverse environment
- Experience with conducting one-on-one consultations or teaching.
- Knowledge of or experience with open source applications for geospatial data, such as: QGIS, Carto, GRASS, R, Python, and/or Leaflet
- Knowledge of applications for 3D, Virtual Reality (VR), or other spatial visualization
- Working knowledge/demonstrated experience with metadata standards for geospatial data FGDC or ISO 19115
- Knowledge of or experience with imagery analysis, including applications such as ERDAS and ENVI
- Knowledge of Geoblacklight or other tools and concepts for discovery and access of geospatial data
Classified Title: Librarian III
Working Title: Geospatial Data, GIS, and Maps Librarian
Starting Salary Range: $59,280 - $81,435 annually
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10000069-GIS & Data Services
Personnel area: Libraries
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, January 23, 2020 20:53 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, January 23, 2020 20:53 UTC