The Data and Visualization Librarian serves as the point person for 1) providing consultation and training in discovering, accessing and visualizing secondary data, 2) managing the Sheridan Library’s data collection, and 3) developing programming and materials for the Data Visualization Studio. The Data and Visualization Librarian will join the Data Services team, administratively located in the Data Management Directorate for the Sheridan Librarians & Museums. The hired candidate will help build and advance the library’s services in data discovery and visualization for users within the library and across campus.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct consultations and answer user inquiries on discovering and accessing secondary data using both freely available and licensed products; visualizing data and other research information; and other data-related user needs on campus.
- Develop and deliver workshops and trainings on finding and using secondary data of all types and on tools and methods to effectively visualize data and research products
- Conduct outreach and training on the technology available in the Data Services Visualization Studio
- Conduct outreach and build relationships with faculty and students on their needs around data and visualization
- Serves as the Organization Representative to the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR)
- Identify data sets or other items to add to the library’s collection and oversees the purchase and license of data sets and subscriptions of data according to the library’s collection procedures, in coordination with relevant colleagues. Oversee the library’s Data Purchase Program.
- Represents Data Services on the JHU Sheridan Libraries Social Sciences Collection team
- Prepare secondary datasets and their metadata for improved access and discovery
- Collaborate with colleagues in Data Services and the Data Management Directorate to make the secondary data accessible to users through existing and developing local systems in the library
- Create and maintain relevant library guides and other informational resources for users
All Data Services team members
- Participate in regular meetings and serve on committees, task forces, and working groups as appropriate.
- Contribute to providing responsive data reference in-person and via email
- Conduct other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
- ALA-accredited master’s or other advanced degree that provided experience with data and/or visualization.
- Three years professional library experience
- Experience with data and visualization
- Demonstrated experience with freely available and licensed resources for data in an academic setting
- Demonstrated experience with tools and technologies for data visualization, such as Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, R, Python, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technical skills, evidence of ongoing self-directed learning
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Commitment to providing excellent service and developing relationships with students, faculty, and researchers
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a diverse environment.
- Experience providing public services in an academic setting.
- Evidence of successfully engaging faculty and students to meet their data-related teaching and research needs
- Experience with conducting one-on-one consultations or providing instruction in an academic library
- Knowledge of the academic research process
- Experience with collection development in an academic library
- Knowledge of applications for 3D and Virtual Reality (VR)
Classified Title: Librarian III
Working Title: Data and Visualization Librarian
Starting Salary Range: $59,280 - $81,435 annually
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10000069-GIS & Data Services
Personnel area: Libraries
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, January 23, 2020 20:53 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, January 23, 2020 20:53 UTC