LIBRARY WEB DEVELOPER
St. Edward's University of Austin, Texas invites applications for the position of Library Web Developer. We're looking for a Web Developer who is passionate about solving problems and building performant web-based systems in simple, elegant, and well-documented code. If you have an eye for code quality, a strong work ethic, like to have fun, love working with cutting-edge technologies, and enjoy being challenged on a daily basis, we want you.
You will be a member of a three-person team comprising a user interface designer and the library's head of digital strategy and infrastructure. Collectively, we juggle many kinds of projects in a nimble, start-up-like environment. As the web developer, you will primarily be responsible for the development, maintenance, and analytics of the library's web properties, but we all contribute generously to collaborative project management. You will be asked to use creativity and imagination to think about the big picture and learn new skills: the job will grow with you, and the library will support your growth.
With an eagerness to learn and serve, we are a creative and energetic team that values collaboration, face-to-face communication, and perpetual adaptation. We care for our craft and strive to simplify and optimize our systems to provide the best possible user experience for our community. We work together to help people learn and gain access to resources, as we build the academic library of the 21st Century.
The position reports to the library's Head of Digital Strategy and Infrastructure.
- Keep abreast of current trends in the field: learn new technologies and recommend new solutions as relevant to the library's web presence and user experience
- Implement innovative digital projects for stakeholders from the library staff and the broader university community
- Maintain and develop a constantly-evolving set of web systems, including:
- Sorin, a locally-developed Elixir/React web application at the center of our online research experience
- Instances of Wordpress and other LAMP-stack CMS
- Integrations with external systems such as Canvas, Google Apps, and AWS
- Collect and leverage analytics data
- Communicate openly with supervisor and colleagues
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in areas such as library and information science, computer science, information systems, design, or equivalent
- Minimum of two years' professional experience with web development, including production experience with:
- Modern web frameworks and APIs
- LAMP-stack CMS
- Software development fundamentals, such as testing and version control
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to adapt, and openness to implementing emerging technologies in a rapidly evolving environment
- Demonstrated organizational ability, time-management skills, and attention to detail in an environment that requires multitasking and initiative
- Strong customer service orientation, including the ability to work effectively with library staff and university faculty
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, analytically, and innovatively
- Library experience
- Higher Education experience
- Familiarity with Elixir, React, Laravel
Candidates selected for an on-site interview will be asked to demonstrate previous work.
Must possess the ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.
The University offers an excellent TOTAL REWARDS package!
- Medical & Rx Coverage Blue Cross Blue Shield (HSA & FSA Available)
- Dental Guardian Dental
- Vision Guardian/Davis Vision Plan
- Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Pet Insurance
- Annual Leave & Paid Sick Leave
- Retirement Plan (TIAA) Employee 5%/Employer Match 7%
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Holidays
- Services & Discounts
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit an online application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/1304716.html. Please include a resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please. Applications will not be considered if missing any of these three items.
In your cover letter, please describe your lived experiences that prepare you to contribute to diversity and inclusion at St. Edward's University.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning, and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
Sponsorship: We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
Background Checks: A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Reference #: E99989
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 21:49 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 21:49 UTC