The BC Libraries Cooperative (https://bc.libraries.coop/) is a non-profit, member-driven cooperative providing several high availability services to libraries and other members across Canada. We use open source tools wherever possible combined with modern development methodologies and hosting practices.
The Co-op is hiring a full-time (35 hours/week) Junior Web Developer to work as a member of our web and systems teams. This is a partial telecommute opportunity; staff primarily work from home though we do maintain an office in Vancouver where employees periodically gather for face-to-face working days. Residency in Greater Vancouver area, BC is not a requirement but considered an asset. Candidates must be authorized to work legally in Canada.
The successful applicant will primarily support the Co-op’s web services which include, but are not limited to, WordPress and Drupal-based site hosting and development. There may be additional opportunities to work on the Co-op’s cloud-based Integrated Library System (which uses the open source Evergreen ILS platform) and other varied, custom web development projects.
The ideal candidate brings the strongest possible combination of knowledge and experience with the following core skills:
- Experience developing and maintaining sites with Wordpress and/or Drupal
- Linux basic system skills (e.g. Apache config, systems config) and other fundamental technologies in the Internet protocol suite for web applications (e.g. HTTP, DNS)
- Git or other version control system
Experience with any of the following technologies will be considered an asset but not essential:
- Laravel or other professional PHP frameworks
- Other server-side languages for the Web: Python, Ruby, or Perl, etc
- Practical experience with user interface and user experience (UX) design
- Web Accessibility standards
- Any of Dokuwiki, Request Tracker, Horde or Nextcloud software
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Ability to demonstrate you have the requisite knowledge to do this job - this might have been through years of job experience and personal learning, or this might have been through formal education such as a Computing Science, Engineering or Physics degree or certification in web development; We do not prioritize formal over informal learning and if you can demonstrate you have the skills to do the job, we encourage you to apply
- 1-3 years of related experience is required;
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, in English;
- Ability to manage stressful situations with humour and grace;
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in a single location).
What we offer:
- Flexibility. While the Co-op is headquartered in downtown Vancouver, this is primarily a virtual office opportunity for the right candidate. Most of the Co-op staff work remotely, using the Vancouver office for regular or occasional face-to-face meet-ups.
- The opportunity to be part of a dynamic team in a growing community enterprise.
- This position is a full-time employment position with competitive compensation (ranging between $60,000-70,000/year depending on experience) and a benefits package that includes extended medical and dental coverage as well as enrollment in a defined benefit pension plan, upon successful completion of the probation period.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com no later than 1600 Pacific Time, January 31, 2020.
Candidates must clearly indicate how they meet the position requirements.
The BC Libraries Cooperative hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, First Nations persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, January 16, 2020 18:40 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, January 16, 2020 18:40 UTC