Archival Cataloging Librarian
Utah State University (USU) Libraries seeks a collaborative, innovative, and service-minded Librarian to manage the MARC and Encoded Archival Description (EAD) metadata creation for the Library’s archival collections. Working with curators, catalogers, and other stakeholders, this position will be primarily responsible for overseeing the data ingest and management of ArchivesSpace as well as original and complex MARC cataloging for Special Collections and Archives material. In conjunction with the Special Collections Cataloging Librarian, this position is responsible for coordinating work between the Cataloging and Metadata Services unit and the Special Collections and Archives unit. The successful applicant will work in a dynamic, collaborative environment with support for professional growth and development. This position is a 12-month, tenure track faculty appointment with rank as Assistant Librarian.
This position is physically located in the Library’s Special Collections and Archives unit but reports to the Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services. The successful applicant will work regularly in cross unit collaborations and teams that will change in relation to current projects and priorities. The Archival Cataloging Librarian will be supported by help of 2-5 student technicians, but is not responsible for the hiring, time management, or performance reviews of student technicians.
· ALA-accredited Master’s degree
· Experience creating Encoded Archival Description (EAD) records
· Experience cataloging (copy or original) in MARC
· Familiarity with cataloging/metadata standards, schemas, and guidelines relevant to archives and libraries (such as Dublin Core, RDA, DACS, etc.)
· Experience working with archival collection management systems (such as ArchivesSpace)
· Experience working with an Integrated Library Systems (ILS), such as Sierra
· Demonstrated analytical or problem-solving skills
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including listening, speaking, and writing
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Ability to set and follow through on both individual and team priorities
· Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing assignments and needs
· Ability to meet the university's requirements for promotion and tenure
$48,000, plus excellent benefits.
Review of applications is set for Friday, January 10, 2020, but the position will remain open until filled. Please address cover letters and any questions to the head of the search committee, Robert Heaton, via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alison F Gardner
Digital Initiatives Department
Utah State University
3000 Old Main Hill, Rm 202
Logan, Utah 84322-3000
How to apply
Published: Friday, December 13, 2019 17:28 UTC
Last updated: Friday, December 13, 2019 17:28 UTC