Reference & Instruction Librarian
University of Southern California — Los Angeles
0 other recent jobs
Created: October 24, 2012
DescriptionReference and Instruction Librarian (#288)
University of Southern California
Requisition ID: 016282
The University of Southern California (USC) Libraries seeks a dynamic and forward thinking information professional to contribute to the Libraries’ reference and instruction programs. This position, located in the Leavey Library, requires a firm grounding in pedagogical experience and a combination of skills and confidence that will transform instruction, outreach, reference and collections. The candidate is expected to participate in the planning, delivery, promotion, and assessment of the Libraries’ information literacy instruction program for undergraduate and graduate courses and to collaborate with faculty to integrate information literacy as a core competency in their syllabi. We seek candidates motivated by a passion to develop innovative library services and with an investment in the future of librarianship. The candidate is expected to be creative in identifying and solving problems. The successful candidate is expected to be up-to-date on relevant library and scholarly information trends and practices, work collegially across the university, and be able to apply this knowledge to have a significant, positive impact on the USC community.
THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
The University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles, USC enrolls more international students than any other U.S. university and offers extensive opportunities for internships and study abroad. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge. For more information, visit www.usc.edu.
The USC Libraries actively support the discovery, creation, and preservation of knowledge. We develop collections and services that support and encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff; build a community of critical consumers of information; and help develop engaged world citizens. Through these means, we contribute to the continued success of the University of Southern California. The USC Libraries includes the Doheny Memorial Library and fourteen specialized libraries with an operating budget of approximately $41 million. Library collections encompass over 4.2 million volumes, 5.9 million microforms, 3.1 million images, 49,300 linear feet of manuscripts and archives, with access to over 113,800 serials in print and electronic formats, and nearly 724,000 e-books. For more information, visit www.usc.edu/libraries.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Leavey Library, the Reference and Instruction Librarian will:
• Participate in the planning, delivery, promotion, and assessment of the Libraries’ information literacy instruction program for undergraduate and graduate courses
• Collaborate with faculty to integrate information literacy, as a core competency, in their syllabi
• Participate in the development of student learning outcomes relating to information literacy, in support of the University’s General Education Curriculum as well as graduate courses
• Collaborate in developing and delivering the Libraries’ orientation programs on campus and off
• Assume leadership of the USC Libraries’ Student Ambassador Program
• Seek out, recommend and implement new technologies that could effectively support library services on campus and for elearners.
• Spend a minimum of 15 scheduled hours per week (including some evenings and weekends) providing in-person and virtual reference services
• Maintain detailed records for assessment of the Libraries’ instruction and orientation programs
• Create, develop, and deliver workshops, tutorials, and related LibGuides on library resources and library research methods to students in person and online
• Perform collection liaison duties as assigned
• Participate in library and other committees as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent is typically required for a librarian appointment at USC. Minimum two years of experience working in a large academic, research or public library providing reference or instruction services. In addition, candidates must have demonstrated:
• Strong public service orientation and the ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment
• Experience with teaching or instructional methods and principles
• Experience providing reference services both in-person and in a virtual environment
• Experience with promoting awareness of library services and resources
• Experience in development of a variety of instructional initiatives
• Experience assessing student learning outcomes
• Knowledge of current technologies, especially those relating to reference and instruction service delivery methods to users on and off-campus
• Experience working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience with managing large scale projects
Desirable qualifications: A second master’s degree in an academic subject area.
Librarian: Continuing Appointment track rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Librarians at USC have faculty status. Appointment to the continuing appointment track requires the potential to meet the University’s requirements for the granting of continuing appointment, which is based on demonstrated excellent performance
and the expectation of continued excellence and growth in professional expertise. For more information on Guidelines on Criteria and Qualifications for the Appointment, Promotion and Continuing Appointment of Librarians on the Continuing
Appointment Track, see: http://www.usc.edu/libraries/about/faculty/documents/Criteria_document07152008.pdf
This position is full-time on a 12-month contract. Benefits include a choice of retirement programs, 22 paid vacation days per year, university holidays, a choice of medical and dental plans, and tuition assistance (for employees and eligible dependents).
Applications must be submitted via USC’s online faculty application website:
As part of the application, candidates must upload one document file (Word or PDF) that contains the following: 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae (including telephone and e-mail address), and 3) a list of at least three references that includes the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address for each referee.
Closing date for applications: November 28, 2012
For more information about this position, contact Danielle Mihram, Chair of the Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org. USC values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. Women and men, and members of all racial and ethnic groups, are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 01:00 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC