*Job ID: 2020265*
* Title: Web Services Coordinator*
*Rank: * Computer Programmer/Analyst 1 (UCP 6)
*Area: * Library Administration
The UConn Library seeks a collaborative and creative individual for the
position of Web Services Coordinator. The ideal candidate possesses a
strong user-centered focus and broad knowledge of library services and
current technologies to keep the site fresh and forward reaching, creating
new and innovative ways the UConn Library can create a quality web
The UConn Library consists of nine different physical locations, including
the Health Sciences Library in Farmington, forming the largest public
research collection in the state and playing a critical role in the
research and teaching mission of the University. The web environment is
complex in both variety of user resources and services and in multiple
information service platforms, all working seamlessly to serve as the front
door to thousands of users each day. As a critical source of information
for students, faculty, staff and the community, our web environment aims to
be nimble and easy to use for each specific audience need.
This position reports to the Head of Digital Infrastructure Services and
serves a vital role in a wide range of web services, both back-end and
user-facing, representing pieces of the full lifecycle of our web
environment. Responsibilities include information architecture,
programming, design, content review, accessibility, and engaging multiple
stakeholders and users for feedback, all requiring creativity and strong
The Web Services Coordinator contributes to the advancement of the UConn
Library through collaboration with colleagues and engagement with
Library-wide initiatives. Along with all UConn Library personnel, the
successful candidate makes a positive contribution to a culture of
inclusion and respect in all interactions within the Library and across the
University and exemplifies the UConn Library values of kindness and trust,
curiosity and inquiry, equity and inclusion, and having fun.
- Provides guidance on user experience and web services, usability,
discovery, and improvements to the site’s information architecture.
- Reviews and implements accessibility across the website, working
towards UConn’s digital accessibility initiative.
- Writes well designed, testable, efficient code using best software
development practices for both Web and mobile applications and interface
programming in WordPress, standards-compliant HTML 5, CSS, SQL,
- Recommends and implements appropriate assessment methods to improve
the user experience.
- Coordinates with the Communications & Engagement unit on design,
layout, and updating and editing content as needed.
- Supports Communications & Engagement unit in realizing the UConn
Library marketing strategy and digital brand presence.
- Works with the Web Steering Committee to plan and implement strategic
- Collaborates closely with Library staff on projects and serves as
project manager, including utilization of student assistants/interns to
- Creates and maintains documentation on software, workflow procedures
and systems to assure continuity of operations.
- Stays current in emerging technologies/industry trends and applies
them into operations and activities.
- Supports site integrations and interoperability of multiple platforms,
discovery and display systems, including existing Digital Scholarship and
Digital Collections Web applications
*Shared Expectations for All Staff*
- Participates in planning and actively contributes to Area and Unit
priorities, initiatives, and operations through collaboration and
- Demonstrates reliable and effective written and verbal communication
and interpersonal skills.
- Maintains currency and open communication in ongoing trends and
developments related to position responsibilities.
- Works effectively in current office applications, software, and
communication tools as set by the UConn Library and University of
- Exhibits appreciation of, sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse
working environment, inclusive of social, economic, cultural, ideological,
gender, racial, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Performs duties parallel to position responsibilities as required.
1. Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field with a
minimum of one year related experience.
2. Expert knowledge of content management systems such as WordPress
(plugin / theme development / APIs).
3. Proven working experience in programming and in-depth knowledge of
4. Demonstrated working knowledge with at least one of the following
5. Strong knowledge of UI/UX web standards and best practices.
6. Demonstrated understanding of accessibility standards, including WCAG
2.0 and WAI-ARIA guidelines.
7. Strong organization, collaboration, interpersonal, and proactive and
creative problem solving skills.
8. Excellent customer service skills, with the ability to communicate
technical information (both written and oral) to all audiences in a
supportive and meaningful way.
1. 2-4 years’ experience working in WordPress environments.
2. Experience with project management.
3. Demonstrated working knowledge of Google Analytics.
4. Demonstrated commitment to building and supporting diversity and
5. Experience with writing for the web.
*Employment at UConn and Appointment Terms*
UConn is one of the top public research universities in the nation, with
more than 30,000 students pursuing answers to critical questions in labs,
lecture halls, and the community. Knowledge exploration throughout the
University’s network of campuses is united by a culture of innovation. An
unprecedented commitment from the state of Connecticut ensures UConn
attracts internationally renowned faculty and the world’s brightest
students. A tradition of coaching winning athletes makes UConn a standout
in Division l sports and fuels our academic spirit. As a vibrant,
progressive leader, UConn fosters a diverse and dynamic culture that meets
the challenges of a changing global society.
The main 4,400-acre campus is set in a university town located in the rural
heart of Connecticut; approximately a half hour’s drive from Hartford, 90
minutes from Boston, and 3 hours from New York. Storrs offers New England
village charm, with outstanding recreational facilities and open space
initiatives, farm to table agricultural communities, and excellent public
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a
multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The
diversity of students, faculty, and staff continues to increase, as does
the number of honors students, valedictorians, and salutatorians who make
UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve
the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions,
leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top public research
UConn’s faculty and staff are a critical link to fostering and expanding
our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages
applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of
traditionally underrepresented populations.
This is a full-time position based in Storrs, Connecticut. The University
offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and
dependent tuition waivers at UConn and a highly desirable work environment.
Salary is dependent upon education, qualifications, and experience.
Applications must be submitted online using UConn Jobs at
http://www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, (Reference search #2020265) and
include a *cover letter*, *detailed resume*, and contact information for *three
Nominations and inquiries should be sent in confidence to
firstname.lastname@example.org. To ensure full consideration, inquiries and
applications should be submitted by December 15, 2019. Employment of the
successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a
pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2020265)
*This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on
December 15, 2019.*
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which
may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
Published: Saturday, December 7, 2019 00:19 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, December 7, 2019 00:19 UTC