ABOUT JOHN JAY COLLEGE
John Jay College of Criminal Justice is a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY) led by President Karol V. Mason and an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice. John Jay is a federally-designated Hispanic-serving institution, it is ranked third in the nation in Black student success, and it is a top ten institution for promoting student social mobility. John Jay is proud to serve a diverse and dynamic student body of 15,000 students that includes nearly fifty percent students who are first in their family to attend college as well as students who are immigrants, from low-income families, or from other historically underrepresented groups.
The College participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York and offers bachelor's and master's degrees in traditional criminal justice-related fields of study as well as in a robust portfolio of liberal arts and sciences programs that highlight themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. John Jay College seeks staff and faculty members who thrive in multicultural academic environments and are committed to access and excellence in higher education.
The Lloyd Sealy Library at John Jay College is looking for an enthusiastic, patron-oriented Web and Emerging Technologies Librarian to expand and improve the Library's outreach through thoughtful and effective development of web-based and other emerging technologies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will manage the Lloyd Sealy Library’s existing website, online services and instructional materials for a diverse patron population. The Web and Emerging Technologies Librarian will identify, assess, and implement innovative technologies that further the Library’s mission. In addition to enjoying working with new technologies and media, the librarian will be passionate about teaching CUNY students and collaborating with faculty and staff. Good communication skills are essential, as is the ability to work well as a team member.
The successful candidate will:
- Coordinate, customize, design, assess and assure the functionality, usability, and accessibility of the Library’s website and discovery tools, including Primo.
- Upgrade the Library’s current Drupal site
- Encourage and facilitate the application of technologies to enhance services to users through the Library’s online presence.
- Develop unique web-based tools and resources tailored to meet the teaching, learning, and research needs of the libraries' users and staff.
- Work closely with the Library’s IT Academic Applications Director and part-time webmaster on digital projects.
- Work with distance and online education faculty to advance the College’s information literacy goals.
- Explore trends and future directions in library services and resources.
- Coordinate the Library’s social media presence.
- Engage in scholarship and service required for reappointment and tenure.
- Provide reference and bibliographic instruction services.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Some evening and weekend hours are required.
MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program; demonstrated skills in web technologies; demonstrated knowledge of technology trends, standards, and issues in libraries and/or higher education; ability to provide some reference and instruction services in an academic library setting; strong service orientation with excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing the job posting on any website other than CUNYFirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu/employment
- Click "Search job postings.”
- Click the link for “Faculty” and browse to job Opening ID number 21450
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
Once registered or logged in, candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
Review of resumes to begin December 9, 2019.
Posting closes on January 11, 2020.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, December 5, 2019 15:05 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, December 5, 2019 15:05 UTC