Online Instruction/Instructional Design Librarian
State University of New York at Oswego — Oswego
0 other recent jobs
Created: October 22, 2012
DescriptionState University of New York at Oswego seeks a collaborative librarian/teacher/scholar to join Penfield Library as Online Instruction/Instructional Design Librarian. Working collaboratively with faculty librarians dedicated to student learning, the individual in this position will lead interdisciplinary initiatives to ensure a meaningful library presence in online courses, at an institution where this delivery option is expanding to include global programs. He/she will be responsible for exploring the intersection of information literacy instruction, instructional design and learning technologies; and for providing leadership in effective teaching pedagogy. This is a 12-month tenure track position reporting to the Coordinator of Library Instruction.
Review Date: Review of applications will begin January 10, 2013, and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Commensurate with rank and experience.
Date of Appointment: July 1, 2013
Description of Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this position include:
· Identify the need for, and facilitate creation of, library initiatives to support online learning, including development of the Library's presence in the college's course management system.
· Facilitate the continued development of librarians as instructional partners in the student learning process. Develop expertise in online instruction and serve as a resource and workshop facilitator regarding pedagogy in face-to-face and online environments. Develop and share best practices for innovative teaching techniques and teaching information literacy across multimedia platforms.
· Serve as a core member of the Instruction Team, sharing in information literacy instruction and continuing improvement for the library instruction program.
· Oversee the creation and continued development of information literacy and critical thinking focused multimedia learning objects, including management of LibGuides resources.
· Collaborate extensively with a variety of teaching partners, including subject librarians, the Distance Learning Librarian, the Learning Technologies Librarian and college instructional designers and teaching faculty.
· Serve as liaison to assigned academic departments, with responsibility for subject specialized collection development and instruction.
· Participate in Research Help Desk rotation for on-site and electronic reference, including some evening and weekend shifts.
· A Master's degree in Librarianship/Information Sciences from an ALA accredited program, currently held or expected no later than May 2013.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively use emerging library and teaching/learning technologies, and the ability to adapt quickly in a rapidly changing environment.
· Academic background, coursework or relevant experience in instructional design; and/or comparable teaching experience in a face-to-face or online classroom setting.
· Demonstrated knowledge and application of current educational pedagogy.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues.
· Strong customer service orientation.
· Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
· Previous work experience in an academic library setting.
· Master's degree in Instructional Design or Education, or comparable specialization.
· Experience with online course management systems.
· Experience with reference service and/or collection development.
To Apply: We accept online applications only. Submit a letter of application addressing qualifications, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current references electronically to
Official transcripts are required prior to hiring.
Description of Department: Penfield Library is an active partner in the teaching and learning process, connecting members of the SUNY Oswego community with meaningful resources, user-centered services and engaging spaces. The professional staff includes 15 full-time librarians, several part-time adjunct librarians and 15 full-time support staff. Additional information about Penfield Library can be found at www.oswego.edu/library.
Published: Monday, October 22, 2012 19:50 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC