DescriptionLibrary Services (Kennedy Library) is responsible for planning, implementing and managing campus-wide information resources and related services with an annual budget of $6+ million and approximately 45 staff. Library Services has five departments: Academic Services, Information Resources and Archives, Communication and Special Initiatives, Library Information Technology, and Administrative Services.
The Data Services program in the Academic Services Department at the Kennedy Library promotes the discovery, exploration, creation, and sharing of data in support of Cal Poly's programs of learning, and research.
Under the general direction of the Data Services Librarian, the Numeric and Spatial Data Specialist provides technical expertise and support for developing and evolving library services that assist students, staff and faculty with finding, using, managing, and visualizing numeric and spatial data.
The Information Technology Consultant (ITC) - Career level is broad and includes intermediate through senior level positions. Incumbents at this level work relatively independently and possess the experience to be fully proficient in performing most or all of the work assignments defined for their position. Typically, incumbents have acquired the requisite skills and knowledge through a combination of education, training, and progressive work experience to be able to demonstrate competence in independently applying technical judgment to standard and nonstandard applications and systems, solving a wide range of problems and developing practicable and thorough solutions, and using effective communication and listening skills.
Minimum Qualifications (Staff Only) Bachelor's Degree and two years of relevant experience (additional qualifying experience may be substituted for up to two years of required education on a year-for-year basis)
Required Qualifications / Specialized Skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide successful consultation and instruction about GIS and numeric data.
- Experience teaching/training users (instructors, staff, students) in use of applications or information resources.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn about creating, maintaining, managing, providing access to, and storing geospatial data.
- Working knowledge of software for numeric and geospatial analysis with strong problem-solving, statistical and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated experience with managing numeric or GIS data.
- Knowledge of public and proprietary resources for national and international numeric and geospatial data.
- Working knowledge of data and file structures, database systems and utilities, operating systems, and interface programs.
- Demonstrated customer service skills including diplomacy and ability to apply sound judgment, using good negotiation skills and managing conflicts to build cooperation.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to set and assign priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, web-based applications, as well as online calendaring and email.
- Ability to supervise and train student assistants.
- Ability to develop, interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate workshops and training sessions, and the ability to identify and support outreach across campus and community constituencies.
- Degree in GIS or related field.
- Experience managing a geospatial imagery collection.
- Experience using and applying GIS in a library or higher education environment.
- Experience with spatial or data literacy curricula.
- Knowledge of trends in data management, visualization, and numeric analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to provide successful consultation
How to apply
Published: Saturday, October 20, 2012 15:26 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC