Senior Software Engineer -- Interpretative Development Team
At Getty Digital, we're re-imagining how we can use software to provide a, connected, user-centered experiences for visitors and art enthusiasts as they explore the rich information at the Getty, both on site and online.
We are looking for a developer to join a team of software engineers focused on the narrative, interpretive, and visitor-focused experiences across the Getty. This team of four is responsible for the core Getty.edu website, as well as exhibitions, digital publications, and other initiatives, including a full redesign of the Getty’s core digital properties.
As a Sr. Software Engineer, you’ll report to the team lead, and will be responsible for working with them and the rest of the team to help estimate, plan, and execute major software initiatives across the Getty, as well as supporting existing applications and projects. You will also be responsible for collaborating with and sharing expertise with a talented team of software developers, helping to set an example of best practices. You will work with subject matter experts, UX researchers, designers, and other software developers, collaborating to build experiences that help share the information shared across the Getty with the larger world.
Our software stack is Vue.js on the front end, with backend implementations in Python, data and content provided via APIs, and custom search interfaces using ElasticSearch. Our applications are hosted via AWS and built within Docker containers.
The Getty is among the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art. You will work on an amazing campus amongst fabulous art, architecture, and archives, collaborating with world-class scientists, curators, librarians, archivists, and academics. We offer every other Friday off, excellent benefits, and a very strong commitment to balancing work and personal life.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Design, build, and maintain an ecosystem of applications that provide interpretation, access, and storytelling around the Getty and its campuses, collections, exhibitions, and publications
- Participate in the day-to-day development and testing of applications
- Write technical specifications and design documents for new features and applications
- Gather requirements, draft systems documentation, and create user stories
- Maintain and upgrade existing applications as part of a team
- Perform code reviews and provide feedback to peer developers
- Follow Getty policies and best practices for software development
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or a combination of education and relevant experience
- A deep interest in the work of cultural heritage
- 5+ years software development experience
- Strong expertise with Vue.js, js, NPM, & Webpack
- Strong expertise with HTML & CSS, including the use of pre-processors
- Experience with a backend-scripting language, such as Python, Ruby, or PHP
- Experience with unit and end-to-end testing frameworks
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with REST APIs & HTTP
- Tact, diplomacy, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask, manage priorities, and meet deadlines
Published: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 01:37 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 01:37 UTC