Emerging Technologies & Computer Science Librarian
Carnegie Mellon University — Pittsburgh
0 other recent jobs
Created: October 10, 2012
DescriptionThe Emerging Technologies & Computer Science Librarian works in special collaboration with library faculty, administrators, and the greater University community in support of the Libraries' new initiatives. The Emerging Technologies and Computer Science Librarian is the liaison to the School of Computer Science (SCS). This individual will lead the development of policies and procedures for data curation and management services on campus with an eye to ensuring that the university complies with federal mandates. As a member of the Science Libraries team, this position pays particular attention to emerging technological trends and supports the Libraries' reference and instruction functions. The librarian engages in committee work and collaborates in other areas relevant to the professional responsibilities of the appointment.
- Education: MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution required.
- Skills: Applicants must have knowledge of: the use of data in teaching and research and the manipulation of data sets; of technology and standards related to digital libraries, such as OpenURL, Metadata, OAI, MARC, Dublin Core and Web 2.0 principles; and of advances in the application of information technologies in libraries. Demonstrated understanding of developments and trends in data services and tools. Familiarity with data life cycle management and web design and scripting languages. Understanding of GIS and other tools. Ability to describe the data. Proficiency with PC, Macintosh and open source platforms. Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact and work with diverse groups including colleagues, faculty and students in collaborative and team environments. Demonstrated ability to manage projects and work independently or as part of a team.
- Physical Mobility: Ability to travel to campus and off-campus locations; ability to sit at computer for long periods of time; keyboard use/repetitive hand motion; sedentary work.
- Environmental Conditions: Normal office environment.
- Mental: Ability to understand, respond and follow directions; Ability to remain calm and composed when dealing with difficult situations or people, including employee relationships; ability to work under pressure; ability to pay close attention to detail; ability to meet deadlines; reading/close-up work; ability to organize work; ability to prioritize work; ability to persuade; ability to effectively negotiate; and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Other: This position requires a criminal background check performed by Human Resources.
- Education: A bachelor's degree in the sciences or engineering is preferred. Note: The required minimum is still an MLS/MLIS, but it is preferred that the successful candidate have a bachelor's degree in the sciences or engineering field. This is not a requirement.
- Experience: At least two (2) years' experience in a library, preferably in an academic setting.
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 22:23 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC