Scientific Data Curator
Created: October 5, 2012
Brown University Providence0 other recent jobs
DescriptionWith its talented and motivated student body and accomplished faculty, Brown is a leading research university that maintains a particular commitment to exceptional undergraduate instruction and a strong research environment in support of the Plan for Academic Enrichment.
As the Library’s primary liaison for scientific data management, the Scientific Data Curator plays a central role in developing library services and guidelines to support scientific research. Together with other Research and Outreach Services Librarians, the Center for Digital Scholarship and other campus partners, the Scientific Data Curator will develop best practices to collect, preserve and provide access to scientific data, and will act as a resource for students and faculty grappling with issues of data curation, digital methods for scientific research, and emerging digital resources. The Scientific Data Curator will contribute to the development of data management plans for funded projects, and will assist in data extraction, reporting, and monitoring compliance with established data management protocols. S/he will contribute to the work of the Brown Digital Repository by helping to develop the requirements and work flows necessary to support research at Brown; by advising teaching faculty on the management of data and providing technical support for use of analytical tools; and in serving as an agent between researchers and the Library’s repository.
The successful candidate will maintain a strong level of competence in issues such as data ethics, copyright, open access, repositories, data curation, and licensing of online resources. Similarly, the candidate will also maintain competence with tools and methodologies for computationally centered, data-driven research (data mining, visualization, etc.). S/he will also use his/her knowledge of available print and electronic resources to build appropriate collections and to advocate for the fields to which he/she is assigned.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Research and Outreach Services, the Scientific Data Curator will have the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in physical or life sciences, data curation, or related disciplines
- 3-5 years of relevant data management experience in academic or corporate setting
- An understanding of the research process as demonstrated by academic or work experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues & technical challenges related to data management/curation, including format migration, preservation, metadata, data retrieval and use issues
- Familiarity with one or more current scientific data and metadata conventions.
- Experience with one of the commonly used repository platforms (Fedora used locally)
- Experience working with relational databases and XML
- Ability to acquire new technological skills & resolve problems in a resourceful and timely manner
- Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; strong analytical and organizational skills; ability to manage time and multiple projects in a complex, changing environment with a positive, flexible, creative and innovative attitude
- Grant writing experience and familiarity with federal funding requirements
To apply for this position (Job # B01420), please visit Brown’s Online Employment website (https://careers.brown.edu), complete an application online, attach documents, and submit for immediate consideration. Documents should include cover letter, resume, and the names and e-mail addresses of three references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
This is advertised as Salary range: 10. Salary ranges may be seen at http://brown.edu/about/administration/human-resources/employee-resources/compensation-information/salary-ranges.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC