Do you love a great data visualization? Do you get excited about helping people tell compelling stories with their data? We might just have the job for you. The Northeastern University Library seeks a service-oriented, self-motivated Research Data Analyst to lead and grow the library’s suite of programming and services related to data analysis and visualization.
Under the general direction of the Head, Research Data Services, the Research Data Analyst applies their knowledge and skills to advance research innovation related to spatial, numerical and visual proficiencies. The Analyst works closely and collegially with fellow Research Data Services team members and others inside and outside the library to a) identify existing support and research needs across the University, and b) develop a broad and deep range of services and initiatives to meet those needs and promote the acquisition of data skills. The Analyst possesses expertise in data visualization and analysis and is adept at applying these concepts and techniques to the research agendas of faculty, staff, and students, regardless of their subject area or skill level.
The Analyst serves as an expert consultant for research projects that require skills related to manipulating, analyzing, customizing, querying, and/or visualizing project data. The Analyst creates and delivers training on data visualization and related topics, suited to audiences at a variety of levels of experience. In collaboration with colleagues, the Analyst will develop and enhance educational offerings in data analysis & visualization to contribute towards a research data curriculum supporting a range of research efforts and academic needs. The Analyst will train and mentor colleagues and/or student workers to provide first-tier support and services. As a member of the RDS team, the Analyst serves as a focal point for activities at the University in the data visualization arena, bringing the diverse community together for discussion and collaboration.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Expertise with data visualization and related tools and technologies such as Tableau, R, Python, etc., acquired through project-based coursework and/or work experience.
- Knowledge of data-wrangling, visualization, and analysis techniques applicable to research data in a variety of disciplines.
- Aptitude for and interest in developing and delivering training in data analysis and visualization appropriate for users at all skill levels.
- Experience working in a research environment, preferably in an academic setting.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects from beginning to end.
- Excellent interpersonal, marketing, and communication skills.
Submitted by: patrickmj
Published: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 15:17 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 15:17 UTC