Become part of the vibrant Michigan State University community! MSU is looking for a Linux-focused systems administrator to join the IT team in support of the MSU Libraries. We have a passion for excellence and strong culture of working to go above and beyond for our librarians, staff, and students. If you are willing to go that extra mile and willing to join a small dedicated team that is committed to making a difference, we’d like you to consider joining the Libraries Systems and Development IT team!
What we can provide for you:
- Beautiful open campus! The Main Library building is located between Beaumont Tower and the famous Beal Botanical Gardens.
- Working for central IT in support of Library environment. Work in a small, agile environment with large organizational support.
- Being part of the larger MSU IT community provides opportunities for networking and career advancement.
- Working in a Library provides a sense of fulfillment with service to both the campus and community.
- Welcoming and supportive culture! The Libraries makes great efforts to ensure all staff are included and can participate in Library organization and planning.
- MSU Libraries is home to cutting edge technology spaces, including the state-of-the-art Digital Scholarship Lab and the Hollander MakeCentral Makerspace.
- Interesting and diverse projects - work closely with faculty researching and building innovative services for scholars and students.
- Comprehensive health benefits and matching retirement contributions.
- Supportive of family work/life balance.
- On-campus food plans available and lots of dining options both on and off campus.
- Casual dress code and relaxed atmosphere.
- Willingness to train staff and plenty of opportunities to grow and expand your skill set. You should expect to learn a lot and never be bored!
What you’ll be doing with us:
- Working closely with both IT and Library staff to provide the highest level of service possible (and we mean it!)
- All the normal sysadmin work you’d expect, like coordinating upgrades, provisioning virtual machines, and diagnosing performance issues; expect your normal portions of log diving.
- Working with a variety of Linux servers and services, from simple LAMP setups to complex, custom actively developed repositories.
- Configuring services to be as high-availability and redundant as possible.
- Managing and expanding our storage volumes and their respective backup jobs.
- Automating as much as humanly possible; going full devops is a big plus!
- In general, being handy at scripting tasks and writing good documentation is something we can’t get enough of.
- Administering our SQL servers and working with developers to address SQL related issues and design questions.
- Keeping our servers secure and safe, including managing firewall rules and following best security practices.
- Be proactive and taking the initiative. There are always new projects to work on or improvements to implement and we want someone who is unafraid to step up and tackle tough tasks with enthusiasm.
- We believe in choosing the best tool for the job, so we’re not a Linux only shop. Having experience administering other environments is something we find valuable as well. Be sure to tell us all the skills you bring to the table!
Working IT in an academic library is truly a unique and fulfilling experience. If you are self-driven and motivated to work in an environment where you can make a difference, be bold and apply today. Go Green!
For all the fine technical details and to apply, visit our official posting at: http://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/502195/information-technologist-i
How to apply
Head of Libraries Systems & Development
Published: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 00:38 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 00:38 UTC