Become part of the vibrant Michigan State University community! MSU is looking for a Windows-focused systems administrator to join the IT team in support of the MSU Libraries.
What we can provide for you:
- Beautiful open campus
- Working for central IT in support of Library environment; focused small environment but with large organizational support
- Being part of the MSU IT community provides opportunities for networking and career advancement
- Job provides sense of fulfillment with service to both the campus and community
- Welcoming and supportive culture
- MSU Libraries is home to cutting edge technology spaces, including the Digital Scholarship Lab and the Hollander MakeCentral Makerspace
- Interesting and diverse projects: work closely with faculty researching and building innovative services to scholars and students
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Retirement matching contributions
- Food plans available with lots of dining options on and off campus
- Supportive of family work/life balance
- Casual dress code
- Willingness to train staff and plenty of opportunities to grow and expand your skill set
What you’ll be doing with us:
- Working closely with both IT and Library staff to provide the highest level of service possible (and we mean it!)
- All the normal sysadmin work you’d expect, like coordinating upgrades, provisioning virtual machines, and diagnosing performance issues; expect your normal portions of log diving.
- Administering Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager, Active Directory and firewall management.
- Configuring services to be as high-availability and redundant as possible.
- Automating as much as humanly possible; being handy at scripting things and also writing good documentation is something we really like.
- Keeping our servers secure and safe, including managing firewall rules and following best security practices.
- Be proactive and taking the initiative. There are always new projects to work on or improvements to implement and we want someone who is unafraid to step up and tackle tough tasks with enthusiasm.
- We believe in choosing the best tool for the job, so we’re not a Windows only shop. Having experience administering other environments is something we find valuable as well. Be sure to tell us all the skills you bring to the table!
Working IT in an academic library is truly a unique and fulfilling experience. If you are self-driven and motivated to work in an environment where you can make a difference, be bold and apply today. Go Green!
For all the fine technical details and also to apply, visit our official posting at: http://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/502194/information-technologist-i
How to apply
Head of Libraries Systems & Development
Published: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 00:38 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 00:38 UTC