Our Infrastructure Engineering team is hiring a technical leader to manage a growing team of engineers and system administrators, focused on building, selecting, maintaining, and monitoring the tools and services that make up our platform infrastructure. The Infrastructure Engineering team collaborates with departments across MIT to establish a strong foundation for the Libraries’ information platform, uniting IaaS, PaaS, DevOps methods, data pipelines and integrations, tooling for monitoring and optimization, Geographic Information System (GIS) infrastructure, cloud storage, and cloud computing into a cohesive whole.
As the Manager, you and your team will work together to move forward the vision of the library as a programmable environment, where our users not only find the information they need, they have the freedom to build new tools and services atop an open information platform.
What you’ll be doing:
- Team Management: Lead, coach and mentor the Infrastructure Engineering team, ensuring team is focused on the Libraries’ most critical challenges, while also creating space for experimentation and learning.
- Technical Expertise: Be responsible for overall systems availability, resilience, and optimization, ensuring that uptime for critical production environments is on par with industry standards.
- Collaboration and Decision-Making: Lead the planning and implementation of the Libraries’ technology infrastructure in consultation with stakeholders and users as appropriate, coordinating closely with other teams on optimization, testing, deployment best practices and improvements, as well as user experience, accessibility, and project management; Foster relationships and enable communications across DLS and with other MIT Libraries colleagues involved in related services or activities. Participate in Libraries’ initiatives, committees, and task forces as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned in line with the goals and vision of the MIT Libraries.
Who should apply?
An individual who is passionate about cultivating the development of others. They will also have:
● A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or related field.
● A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; with a minimum of 2 years of experience managing cloud infrastructure, preferably in AWS.
● Experience with networking and core internet protocols, cloud data security and containers.
● Demonstrated success in leading a team of engineers and building effective working relationships within their team/department and a variety of stakeholders.
This team is also hiring a cloud infrastructure engineer. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for each role may be considered for both opportunities.
MIT was named top 3rd large employer in MA by Forbes Magazine. Our comprehensive benefits package includes, 3-4 weeks of paid time off, 401K, Pension, and flexible work arrangements.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
MIT is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community and particularly welcomes applications from individuals who enthusiastically embrace the empathy, courage, self-reflection and respect of a multicultural, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
About the MIT Libraries:
We envision a world where enduring, abundant, equitable, and meaningful access to information serves to empower and inspire humanity.
The MIT Libraries aspires to advance knowledge by providing a trusted foundation for the generation, dissemination, use, creative engagement with, and preservation of information, in support of the MIT mission and so that it can be brought to bear on the world’s great challenges and in the cause of social justice.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 20:49 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 20:49 UTC