Associate Software Engineer
Harvard’s Library Technology Services--a group within Harvard University Information Technology dedicated to supporting the complex and dynamic technology needs of the Harvard Library--is seeking an innovative and team-oriented software developer to build sophisticated, sustainable, and generalizable systems, tools, and infrastructure. This is a full-time non-term-limited position.
The position will focus on the development of systems and tools that enable online access and discovery of digital resources, are used by librarians, archivists, and preservation professionals in their work, and support research, teaching, and learning at Harvard and beyond. Examples of software and services the Associate Software Engineer might work on include:
- Digital Repository Service, a preservation and access repository for born-digital or digitized materials from libraries, archives and museums at Harvard (https://preservation.library.harvard.edu/digital-preservation-repository)
- Harvard Geospatial Library, a geospatial discovery system (http://hgl.harvard.edu)
- Digital Delivery Services, a suite of services that deliver to web browsers common types of digital objects stored in Harvard’s Digital Repository
- Harvard Digital Collections, a platform for the curation and display of online exhibits (http://curiosity.lib.harvard.edu) and discovery of digitized content (http://digitalcollections.library.harvard.edu)
- Harvard Library APIs and Datasets, including LibraryCloud, a metadata hub that provides granular, open access to Harvard Library bibliographic metadata, and PRESTO, which offers programmatic access to data in the Library's central online systems (https://library.harvard.edu/services-tools/harvard-library-apis-datasets)
- HOLLIS for Archival Discovery, a catalog of unique materials in Harvard's special collections and archives (https://hollisarchives.lib.harvard.edu)
The Associate Software Engineer will join a team of three dozen software developers, information architects, metadata experts, user experience designers, DevOps engineers, system administrators, systems librarians, and project managers with deep expertise in the library and technology domains. Harvard, HUIT, and LTS are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in both hiring and in daily practice.
Library Technology Services staff contribute to community supported and globally adopted open source projects and participate in the development of metadata and other library-related standards. The Associate Software Engineer will have the chance to learn about, implement and contribute to technologies such as IIIF, Mirador, Blacklight, GeoBlacklight, GeoServer, Spotlight, DSpace, and ArchivesSpace.
A position description, details about Harvard’s benefits offerings, and information on how to apply are available here: Associate Software Engineer #49251BR (https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25240&siteid=5341#jobDetails=1459443_5341).
How to apply
Published: Friday, May 31, 2019 13:00 UTC
Last updated: Friday, May 31, 2019 13:00 UTC