Full-time (37.5 hrs. /week) permanent position
The Ontario Colleges Library Service (OCLS) is seeking a highly motivated and organized team-player to join our small but mighty staff as Systems Analyst & Help Desk Technician. OCLS has recently migrated its IT infrastructure to a managed service, hosted environment and in this new environment we need an individual to be accountable for the support and operation of our in-house computer programs, systems and applications, including desktop systems. The successful candidate will work with our in-house team, our managed service partners and application providers to ensure that the computer network is operating effectively and efficiently, that servers are monitored and updated and computer programs and applications are installed, removed, upgraded and tested to meet our operational needs. There will also be an opportunity to staff our help desk and offer Tier 1 support directly to our customers.
- Support the OCLS in-house network environment by updating servers, switches and other equipment as needed, manage backups, troubleshoot problems and maintain server integrity. Install, remove and modify OCLS applications as required.
- Perform typical tasks of system administration including implementation, configuration, testing, monitoring and maintenance of IT systems.
- Perform software upgrades, apply patches, and conduct testing to online library system(s), applications and the OCLS infrastructure.
- Support the OCLS desktop environment by maintaining desktop and mobile software and hardware, testing, troubleshooting and addressing user inquiries.
- Support communication and print services and equipment throughout the organization.
- Provide help desk services and tier 1 support to resolve problems in a timely manner where possible, and/or escalate. Communicate status, diagnosis and resolution options to team members, management and internal customers.
- Act as a contact with system and application vendors, and other third party partners to resolve system related problems and scope needed system enhancements.
- Document, and communicate IT infrastructure configurations, changes and any processes related to these systems.
- Maintain knowledge of relevant trends and issues in the field.
- Improve the reliability, performance and flexibility of IT systems.
The qualifications listed below are highly desirable but not necessarily mandatory. You are invited to demonstrate how your skills, knowledge, and experience would best fit this position in your letter of application.
- A two-year diploma in computer science or equivalent;
- Knowledge of and experience with systems administration, support and, networking;
- Minimum of year (1) year experience at an administrative level with Cisco iOS, RHEL 7 and vSphere 5.5 and later;
- Demonstrated knowledge at the systems and analytical level of UNIX, Windows applications, RedHat, Linux is required;
- Experience with trouble ticket tracking (Request Tracker preferred);
- Ability to collaborate successfully with colleagues and other professionals in an environment characterized by rapid change;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical abilities, and strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in and demonstrated commitment to outstanding customer service;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team; willingness to work after hours if needed;
- Experience with Perl, PHP, Visual Basic or other scripting/programming languages would be an asset;
- Experience with Drupal would be an asset;
- Knowledge of library technical operations through a recognized library educational program or through experience would be an asset.
What OCLS Offers
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience; the salary range for this position begins at $53,000;
- Learning and development opportunities;
- Small staff working in cross-functional teams;
- Opportunities to build relationships across the province;
- Flexible work arrangements;
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits;
- CAAT Pension Plan;
- Minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation per year;
- Employee and family assistance program (EFAP).
Join OCLS in providing quality services to Ontario’s publicly funded colleges and their libraries and learning resource centres. Visit our website (http://www.ocls.ca) for more details, and view the OCLS Strategic Plan for our values, mission, and additional information.
OCLS respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity. OCLS is an equal opportunity employer and strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, OCLS will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process. Off-site interviews can be arranged.
Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on Monday, June 10, 2019.
Position Start Date: June/July 2019
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates may apply by submitting a letter of application, current resume, and three references in a single file labelled with “Your Name_#143” via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Your Name - #143” in the subject line. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
A web version of this posting can be found at: https://www.ocls.ca/careers