LAC Group is seeking a self-motivated, detail-oriented, and innovative individual for a full-time Metadata Librarian position on behalf of a federal library in Greenbelt, MD. The successful candidate will have experience creating and maintaining metadata, a solid knowledge of established and emerging metadata standards, strong technical aptitude, and the ability to work collaboratively and independently in a team-oriented environment.
The Metadata Librarian is responsible for collecting, preserving, and presenting digital information in all formats, applying indexing and metadata, and maintaining the Library's bibliographic and archival databases. This includes metadata application, authority control, quality control, and other duties associated with the creation and maintenance of item- and collection-level data for a variety of print and digital materials.
As a member of the Digital Projects Team, the Metadata Librarian reports to the Team Lead and works independently as well as with teammates, library colleagues, patrons, and community partners to develop and provide access to information and materials that support the scientific and engineering research needs of the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
- Ensures the quality of cataloging and metadata records in the ILS and Institutional Repository.
- Employs emerging metadata schemas to make library resources available to our patrons.
- Performs original and copy cataloging for a wide range of formats, including serials, non-print materials, and e-resources, using traditional cataloging principles and practices to input records into OCLC and the local ILS, SirsiDynix Symphony.
- Participates in the design and maintenance of repository collections using the Fedora Commons architecture.
- Adds digital images, video, multimedia, and other formats to the institutional repository using XML and RDF metadata.
- Collaborates with Digital Team on completing the migration of the Institutional Repository's records from a Fedora XML-based platform to a Fedora RDF-based platform.
- Incorporates linked data authority records from the NASA Name Authority File into various systems, including institutional repository records.
- Stays abreast of new developments relevant to metadata and cataloging.
- Serves as a resource person concerning metadata, database maintenance, record loading, workflow issues, cataloging, and classification.
- Maintains statistics and produces monthly statistics reports.
- Master’s degree in Library/Information Science or other relevant fields from an accredited program.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging, media migration, metadata, and database management.
- Knowledge of electronic and traditional cataloging standards (AACR2R, LC classification, LCSH, MARC formats) and familiarity with RDA and FRBR.
- Experience cataloging book and non-book formats in an automated environment using OCLC and an ILS, such as SirsiDynix Symphony.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of modern library operation
- Experience with XML, RDF, and one or more metadata schemas (Dublin Core, MADS, MODS, METS, EAD) and one or more tools (XSLT, XQuery, SQL, SPARQL, OAI/PMH, OpenRefine, Regular Expressions, etc.).
- Experience with a repository system such as Fedora Commons.
- Familiarity with Drupal or similar content management systems.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 23:15 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 23:15 UTC