The University of Minnesota Libraries seeks an energetic, service-oriented and collaborative professional to serve in the capacity of Metadata Analyst. The Metadata Analyst leads and is responsible for large-scale and complex analyses involving data in the Libraries’ enterprise integrated library system (Alma) relating to normalization of metadata, extract and ingest of data among systems, and leveraging metadata to increase discoverability and use of collections. The position uses a broad set of metadata analysis tools, processes, workflows, and methodologies, to perform metadata record analysis, specification writing, transformation, quality assurance, loading services, and data management. The Metadata Analyst is responsible for high quality and timely metadata automation services and leads the development of reporting and business process solutions. The analyst also monitors emerging technologies and recommends their adoption if they meet project specifications or long-term organizational goals. This position will work closely with other departmental business/data analysts, and departmental and Libraries’ staff to evaluate needs and processes and develop and refine workflows, analyses, and reports.
- Analyze, extract, export, normalize, transform, and publish data for database maintenance and external reporting projects.
- Design processes for large-scale maintenance, and data enhancement or remediation projects.
- Evaluate incoming bibliographic records from a variety of sources (including MARC and non-MARC data), and edit or create bibliographic, holdings, and item records using automated processes, APIs, or programming.
- Provide support for the Google Books Project and HathiTrust ingest in the area of data management, including creation of the full catalog of offerings, export of metadata to support physical items sent for scanning, problem analysis, and coordination with technical services staff for metadata maintenance.
- Monitors emerging technologies and recommends their adoption if they meet project specifications or long-term organizational goals.
This is a full-time, 12 month, annual renewable, academic professional position with the classification of Business/Systems Analyst 3.
Qualifications: ALA-accredited master's degree in Library and Information Science OR equivalent education and experience (subject expertise combined with appropriate industry experience and/or library experience); Minimum five years of professional experience with cataloging/metadata creation, design, and analysis in an academic library setting; Working knowledge of MARC and RDA; Experience with large-scale metadata analysis, manipulation/transformation, interoperability, and management; Demonstrated skills with scripting languages and/or tools for data manipulation (e.g., OpenRefine, Python, XSLT); Experience in successful trouble-shooting and problem solving in the context of library systems and data; Strong evidence of leadership, oral and written communication, and analytical skills.
How To Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter (identified with UL406), resume, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three current references at https://humanresources.umn.edu/content/find-job. Click on External Applicants. Enter 329880 in the “Search Jobs” box.
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 16:27 UTC