The University Libraries at Texas State University are seeking qualified applicants for a MakerSpace Coordinator. Reporting to the Director of Technology Engagement, this position will oversee the operations, programming and ongoing development of the makerspace at Alkek Library. This includes hiring and supervising student workers, researching, recommending and implementing makerspace technologies, providing strategic vision for the makerspace, engaging with the campus community through workshops and other programming efforts, and contributing to the Digital Foundations Certificate Program (DFCP). The purpose of the DFCP is to enable its participants to create a range of digital assets that can be used in technology spaces like the Alkek MakerSpace. Content for the certificate program will include a series of self-paced modules and regular workshops given by staff, faculty, and industry professionals.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Oversee all operations and spearhead ongoing design, development and/or deployment of makerspace technologies and programming for the Alkek MakerSpace. Develop and implement processes for supporting 3D Printing, CNC routing, electronics and IoT making, and build a catalogue of digital assets and other resources that can be used for makerspace activities. Research, recommend, implement and regularly evaluate makerspace technologies. Effectively manage projects, including developing high-level and detailed project schedules, tracking progress against milestones, communicating project status on a regular basis, proactively identifying and managing risks, and ensuring that issues are resolved in a timely manner. Give workshops to supplement online content for the Digital Foundations Certificate Program. Collaborate with the Digital Literacy Program Coordinator to identify makerspace skills, workflows and other activities that can be included in the Digital Foundations Certificate Program. Forecast quarterly operating costs and provide quarterly reports to the Director of Technology Engagement. Supervise and assist with selection and training of student workers. Ensure operational safety of all equipment used in the MakerSpace.
· 3D Printing (SLA and FDM), CNC Milling, and laser cutting
· intermediate electronics (circuit boards, Arduinos/Raspberry Pi, IoT wearables, etc...)
· general office procedures and practices
· establish rapport with a variety of clients
· implement a robust safety protocol for all technologies that pose a danger to users
· ability to evaluate the MakerSpace and the technologies used therein in terms of the technology life cycle (i.e., research and development, growth, maturity and decline)
· advanced knowledge of 3D modeling and 2D design software
· experience delivering workshops on makerspace technologies
· ability to use product data and user experience data to drive changes
· ability to perform outreach and create relationships with technology leaders
· 3+ years of experience working in a professional machine shop, a makerspace (commercial or educational), or a similar venue
· experience ordering materials and equipment
· experience using software to manage customer payments
· experience forecasting operating costs
· experience hiring and managing employees
· knowledge of university/academic policies and procedures
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include monthly contribution to health insurance/benefits package and retirement program after initial ninety days of employment. No state or local income tax.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of a criminal history background check. This includes transfers and promotions from within.
Apply online at http://jobs.hr.txstate.edu
Texas State's 38,661 students choose from 98 bachelor’s, 93 master’s and 14 doctoral degree programs offered by the following colleges: Applied Arts, McCoy College of Business Administration, Education, Fine Arts and Communication, Health Professions, Liberal Arts, Science and Engineering, University College and The Graduate College. As an Emerging Research University, Texas State offers opportunities for discovery and innovation to faculty and students.
Our students come from around the globe, and our student body is diverse. Fifty-two percent of Texas State students are ethnic minorities. Texas State ranks 14th in the nation for total bachelor’s degrees awarded to Hispanic students.
Texas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Texas State, a member of the Texas State University System, is committed to increasing the number of women and minorities in administrative and professional positions.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, April 25, 2019 20:44 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, April 25, 2019 20:44 UTC