Supervisor, Digital Metadata and Ingest
Supervisor, Digital Metadata and Ingest
The Northeastern University Library is seeking a dynamic and forward-thinking metadata librarian for the position of Supervisor, Digital Metadata and Ingest. Reporting to the Assistant Head for Resource & Discovery Services, this position supports the organization, discovery, and access to the Library’s wealth of digital resources through the production and management of descriptive and authoritative metadata. The incumbent actively collaborates with other units and metadata stakeholders within and outside the library, including Digital Production, Archives, and Digital Scholarship.
The Library holds an extensive collection of Boston related materials and is embarking on many exciting digital projects including local social justice collections and newspaper archives to support scholarship within the Library’s interdisciplinary Boston Research Center and beyond. Bring your metadata expertise and the ability to innovate workflows and solutions to this position, and enhance the usability and discoverability of these and other exciting University collections.
The Supervisor, Digital Metadata and Ingest is responsible for the creation and maintenance of original technical and descriptive metadata for analog and digital resources in a variety of formats following national and local standards, and the ingest of objects and metadata into the Library’s Digital Repository. This position hires, manages, supervises, and trains staff in the Digital Metadata Unit including the Metadata Librarian and Metadata Assistant, and trains and supervises other staff working on digital metadata projects. The Supervisor, Digital Metadata and Ingest is responsible for planning and successfully executing complex metadata projects for departments inside and outside the Library as well as providing advice and metadata assistance to departments embarking on their own digital projects on campus. The incumbent is also responsible for setting daily and longer-term priorities, project planning, and organizing and streamlining collaborative workflows. Strong communication, supervisory, technical and project planning skills, flexibility, and the ability to work comfortably with diverse groups are key.
· Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program required.
· 3-5 years’ professional academic library experience using current metadata structure, content, value, and format/technical standards, and a bibliographic utility.
· Demonstrated knowledge of established and emerging national and international standards relating to metadata and classification.
· Experience with XML, XLST; data transformation/normalization required. Familiarity with XForms, XPath and various programing languages useful.
· Experience with AACR2R, RDA, MARC, MODS, Dublin Core, EAD, LSCH, LCC, authority control principles required. Knowledge of BIBFRAME, RDF, and/or Linked Data preferred.
· Knowledge of trends and issues in academic libraries, scholarly communications, higher education, publishing, and metadata developments.
· Excellent planning, analytical, interpersonal, communication, supervisory, project management, and organizational skills.
· Self-motivated, detail-oriented, with good team-working skills, a strong service orientation, and a demonstrated commitment to staff development and diversity in the workplace.
For more information about this position and Northeastern University’s generous benefits visit, and to apply, visit: https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/61090
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 21:33 UTC