Senior Web Application Developer
RIT Libraries is currently seeking an experienced application developer to bring energy and expertise to join our team as a Senior Web Application Developer. This position would be developing and supporting innovative web-based applications to meet the evolving needs of the Library and our customers.
The Senior Web Application Developer duties include:
- Creating and maintaining a variety of web-based applications in support of operations at RIT Libraries and other departments supported by the RIT Libraries IT staff.
- Collaborating with department stakeholders and other IT staff to gather and translate functional requirements into finished applications, or feature enhancements.
- Responsibility for deliverables throughout the software development life cycle; including design, development, testing, deployment, maintenance, and documentation.
- Ensuring the stability, security, and accessibility of existing applications.
An ideal candidate will have excellent verbal and written communications skills, a track record of successful collaboration with stakeholders and peers, strong proficiency and experience with the Ruby on Rails, and. Experience working with PHP is also preferred.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Ideal candidate should have 5+ years of experience with the following:
- Software design and development using modern frameworks including Ruby on Rails.
- Successful development, configuration, implementation, and maintenance of web-based applications
- Working with Relational Database Systems, writing SQL queries, writing SQL scripts
- Software development lifecycle and configuration management methodologies.
Skills we are looking for in an ideal candidate include:
- Strong proficiency with Ruby on Rails
- JSON, XSLT, XPath, XQuery, or other data encoding languages and standards
- Web Services, REST, or other APIs
- Gitlab or other source control tools
- Investigation, implementation, and customization of open source software solutions
- Strong analytical and problem solving ability
- Strong verbal and written communications
- Strong customer service, leadership, and collaboration competencies.
Please note applicants may be asked to submit code examples for review or complete a coding exercise as a part of the candidate review process.
Additional preferred qualifications:
- Experience working at a higher education institution.
- Experience working for libraries, particularly academic libraries.
- Experience working with Integrated Library Systems including Sierra, Millennium, or Alma
- Experience mentoring or supervising others.
Required Minimum Education Level: Bachelors or Equivalent Experience
Wage Band: 119A
Employment Category: Fulltime
Required Application Documents: Cover Letter, Resume
How to Apply: In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number 4478.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities.RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to your application for employment at RIT, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to Careers@rit.edu
Last updated: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 16:23 UTC
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 16:23 UTC