Digital Collections and Metadata Libarian
The Maryland Historical Society seeks a full-time Digital Collections and Metadata Librarian. The position is responsible for providing leadership in the development, implementation, and assessment of metadata infrastructure, policies, and procedures to support discovery, access, management, and preservation of the Library collections. They will play a key role as the administrative owner of the Library’s and Museum’s digital asset management and preservation system. The candidate will contribute to strategic initiatives to build our digital collections, and capacity to collect, preserve, and make available digital and digitized content. The position reports to the Library Director and will work in close collaboration with colleagues across the Library and Museum collections teams.
- Create or oversees the creation of high-quality original cataloging and metadata for museum objects, as well as digitized and born-digital special collections, applying national cataloging and metadata standards.
- Provide leadership in identification, planning, and implementation of data normalization and remediation projects.
- Provide clean-up, enrichment, and transformation of legacy records and migrates data between systems.
- Responsible for the management of library systems, including digital asset management system; manages configurations, plug-ins, software updates, and user accounts.
- Act as primary liaison for the institution to open sources software communities, and to hosting vendors. Responsible for thinking about how all collections systems interrelate, and designing and executing efficient and effective integrations and workflows across systems.
- Collaborates with colleagues to develop local standards and best practices for systems use.
- Works with colleagues in implementing professional standards and best practices and setting priorities for collection management, processing, description, digitization, and discovery.
- Participate in general planning and policy development in the support of strategic directions; assist in project development for fundraising activities as appropriate; plan and manage specific library projects.
- Participate in professional organizations, and keeps abreast of current theory, practice, and innovations in the field.
- MS/MLIS/MA from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Three or more years of professional, relevant cataloging experience.
- Proficiency in the use, maintenance, and support of digital asset management systems, repository software technologies, and support tools (ResourceSpace or similar). Ability to effectively troubleshoot technical problems, isolate causes, and implement solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current national data content and structure standards related to the description, administration, and preservation of archival and special collection materials.
- Familiarity with digital preservation theory and best practices. Experience with digital preservation tools.
- Excellent analytic skills, including facility with complex problem solving and prioritization. Good organization skills and an aptitude for analytical and detailed work.
- Ability to work independently, exercise discretion and sound judgment, and provide guidance to others.
- Strong service orientation and interest in library users' values and needs.
- Experience working in a museum library, or other cultural heritage institution, and knowledge of Maryland history, desirable.
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with excellent written and verbal skills. Ability to work successfully in a multicultural, collaborative team environment
The Maryland Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using the society’s collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day.
Please submit a cover letter, resume with three professional references, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Include in the subject line: Digital Collections and Metadata Librarian. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 19:07 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 19:07 UTC