The University of the Sciences in Philadelphia is looking for a Systems/Reference Librarian. This is a full-time, non-tenure track faculty position with the Department of Information Science and the Joseph W. England Library.
The Systems/Reference Librarian will have primary responsibility for the library systems and the library website and for the management of the library’s reference services. The Systems/Reference Librarian will work closely with the library faculty and staff and with the Information Technology staff to keep all the library’s systems and technologies working and up-to-date. As a faculty member in the Department of Information Science, incumbent will perform all professional librarian duties including, but not limited to: reference desk, collection development, teaching, scholarly activities, and service.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and upgrades library systems including, but not limited to: EZ-Proxy, ILLiad, and the Alma library services platform.
- Maintains and updates the library website and other communications platforms, including blogs and social media.
- Serves as the liaison between the Information Technology department and the library.
- Provides appropriate technical training and support to the department and the library, and seeks to maximize the effective use of existing technology resources.
- Assists in identifying and implementing new digital initiatives, systems, and software for the library.
- Keeps abreast of library systems trends and issues.
- Coordinates operation of reference services, and provides service at the reference desk.
- Teaches information literacy classes and holds scheduled reference consultations.
- Serves as liaison to assigned academic departments and maintains the library collection in those disciplines.
- Provides service to the USciences community and the profession by participating in committees, task forces, and appropriate organizations.
- Engages in scholarly activity or research as a non-tenure track voting member of the Faculty.
- Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited program.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience with library systems, including proxy servers, interlibrary loan systems, and integrated library systems.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience with website and other communications platforms, including blogs and social media
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and to manage a varied workload.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, Google Apps, Mac/Windows operating systems, etc.
- Experience providing reference and instructional services.
- Experience assessing library services in a higher education environment.
- Experience using Blackboard or another learning management system.
- Strong grasp of current issues, trends, and technologies impacting higher education and academic libraries.
- Bachelor’s degree from any STEM field.
EEO - Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Jon Drucker, Information Science Instructor / Access Services Librarian
J.W. England Library, University of the Sciences
600 S. 43rd St., Philadelphia, PA 19104
j.drucker@USciences.edu | 215-596-8961
Published: Saturday, March 2, 2019 15:05 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, March 2, 2019 15:05 UTC