Data Visualization and Data Management Engineer
The Imaging, Signals, and Machine Learning (ISML) group at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) conducts applied computer vision research and development addressing critical issues of industrial and economic competitiveness, energy efficiency, biomedical measurement science, and security. The group consists of staff members with backgrounds in electrical engineering, computer science, and optical engineering, and frequently collaborates with partners in industry, academia, and other government organizations.
To support ORNL strategic R&D activities in advanced manufacturing, the ISML group is accepting applications for a technical staff member position with expertise in database and data management techniques, data visualization, and data mining. The selected candidate will work at the Manufacturing Demonstration Facility (MDF - https://web.ornl.gov/sci/manufacturing/mdf/) to advance manufacturing technologies, and to facilitate and accelerate their deployment to industry.
In your new role, you will work closely with a diverse group of experts (material, systems, data analytics, robotics, etc.) to build an interactive data architecture (database, workflow, front-end, back-end) for scientific discovery in the areas of materials and advanced manufacturing.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create the database schema and the data workflow needed to capture information streaming from multiple heterogenous data modalities captured before, during, and after the manufacturing phase.
- Develop advanced data visualization tools – new implementations or adapting existing techniques – to allow interactive visualization of complex multidimensional datasets
- Maintaining the database and the visualization platform
- Collaborate on branching activities such as HPC development, cloud computing, data processing algorithm development
- General support of research and development needs within the MDF
- B.S. in computer science, or closely related field and 5+ years of work experience
- M.S. in computer science, or closely related field and 2+ years of work experience
- Demonstrated experience conceiving and executing research and development projects
- Substantial experience in implementation of robust data management platform
- Substantial programming skills using modern languages and concepts
- Experience in advanced data visualization techniques and large datasets manipulation
- This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license, which requires U.S. Citizenship or LPR (Lawful Permanent Residence.)
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
To apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/2EB0FDK
How to apply
Published: Thursday, February 28, 2019 22:16 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, February 28, 2019 22:16 UTC