Whirl-i-Gig is a Brooklyn, NY-based company that develops CollectiveAccess (https://collectiveaccess.org), open source software for management and presentation of museum and archival collections in use at hundreds of institutions worldwide. We also provide consulting, software development and hosting services to a diverse group of museums, foundations, universities and other non-profits using CollectiveAccess.
Whirl-i-Gig seeks to add a creative and experimental web-site developer to our team of experienced software developers, designers and system architects as we set out to create the next generation of responsive web and mobile platforms for museum, archival and scientific informatics. Working directly with world-class museums, universities and cultural organizations, you will help expand the range of our open-source offerings and craft web-based solutions to enhance access and utility of collections.
You will collaborate in the design, development, production, testing and documentation of applications for presentation of and interaction with museum, archival and scientific collections data. You will participate in all aspects of the web development lifecycle, from design through production, testing, documentation and end-user support. Responsibilities include:
· Implementing public-facing web and mobile-friendly applications meeting client specifications using open-source solutions including our own Pawtucketcollections publishing software;
· Assisting with design and development of successors to Pawtucket;
· Assisting where necessary with design and implementation of other informatics projects.
Whirl-i-Gig provides a friendly, flexible work environment. The position is full-time, permanent and salaried. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and skills and includes employee health and retirement (401k) benefits. Direct interaction with clients across a wide range of disciplines and the use of emerging technologies means the position also offers opportunities for professional development and growth, including attending conferences. Applicants will work out of our office in Williamsburg Brooklyn. We are not considering applicants based outside of the New York Metro area at this time.
· Proven web production skills, with ability to implement responsive, accessible web interfaces using design documentation (wireframes, style-guides, Photoshop and Illustrator design artifacts)
· Working familiarity with Git version control software
· Working familiarity with SQL database systems such as MySQL or Postgres
· Ability to effectively operate in a Linux-based application hosting environment
· Self-motivated with ability to self-direct exploration of new technologies
· Strong written and oral English communication skills
· Availability to work in our office in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, NY
· Legal residency with work authorization
· Knowledge of Wordpress and/or Drupal content management systems
· Experience with non-SQL database systems such as MongoDB or Neo4j
· Experience developing applications with ElasticSearch
· Familiarity with drafting of front-end project specifications, work plans and cost estimates
· Experience configuring and managing workloads using AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
· Experience configuring and administering Linux-based servers
Please include a cover letter and examples of your work on your portfolio site or GitHub repository. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Last updated: Monday, February 25, 2019 15:38 UTC
How to apply
Published: Monday, February 25, 2019 15:38 UTC