POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Library Professional II
DEPARTMENT: Research Initiatives
Job ID: 213283
Application review begins February 25, 2019. Positon is open untill filled.
The River Campus Libraries (RCL) seeks a creative and collaborative librarian to help grow the new Research Initiatives portfolio. Reporting to the Director of Research Initiatives, this role provides domain expertise, leadership, and support for research impact, open scholarship, and scholarly communication projects.
In close collaboration with the Director of Research Initiatives, the incumbent will design services, and tools to innovate RCL’s research support programs and lead initiatives to empower faculty and students to mobilize knowledge in new ways. Leveraging robust data analysis and programming skills, the incumbent will also develop projects to capture and demonstrate the impact of the University's research enterprise, and act as a resource for library staff and campus colleagues seeking creative approaches to research support.
Key responsibilities of this role include:supporting programs and services to increase the dissemination and impact of university research, bibliometric analysis and data visualizations, applying technologies to support library research initiatives, and fostering a dynamic and collaborative research environment that encourages scholarly engagement, inquiry, critical thinking, and creativity.
Research Impact 40%
- With the Director of Research Initiatives, lead projects to measure and accurately represent the University’s research enterprise
- With support from student employees, create dashboards, models, and data visualizations to monitor, communicate, and assess bibliometric indicators, and related campus research activities
- Promote and assess research impact and scholarly communication services focused on scholarly profile management, broader impacts, and open research practices
- Remain current on trends and issues in university rankings and faculty research impact
Innovating Research Support: 30%
- With the Director of Research Initiatives, collaborate with RCL departments to prototype and develop projects that transform how the library collects, showcases, and shares research materials and university research outputs
- Supports collaborations with library and campus colleagues to enable faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students to experiment with research practices and new methods of scholarly communication
Knowledge Mobilization 20%
- Contribute towards initiatives that encourage and enable broad dissemination and sharing of faculty research outputs
- Provide training, support, and expertise on existing and emerging research tools and workflows, with an emphasis on open and reproducible practices
- Remain current on trends and issues in digital scholarship, scholarly communication, and open scholarship.
Miscellaneous Duties: 10%
- Maintain currency with library functions, resources, practices and procedures
- Participate in and contributes towards River Campus Libraries and University committees, meetings, and events
- Maintain professional collaborations with River Campus Libraries colleagues and campus constituencies
- Contribute to the profession through active participation in conferences, associations, research, writing, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Post-graduate degree in the field of library and/or information science from an A.L.A.-accredited institution
- Demonstrated ability to discover, and quickly become competent using, new technologies, software, and devices; willingness to explore the use of innovative technologies with a high tolerance for risk, ambiguity, and failure
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and abilities, and comfortable working collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to form strong, collaborative connections
- Outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Self-starter who is flexible, creative, and open to new challenges
- Strong commitment to diversity
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: data visualization, research impact metrics, computer programming, or scholarly communication
- Lauren Di Monte, Director of Research Initiatives (Chair), RCL
- Adrienne Canino, Outreach Librarian for Science and Engineering, Data Science, Earth and Environmental Science, RCL
- Maggie Dull, Head of Metadata Strategies, RCL
- Denise Dunham, Senior Data Analyst, RCL
- Linda Hasman, Assistant Director, Research & Clinical Information Services, Miner Library
- Gebri Mishtaku, Undergraduate Student
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE
When applying online, please submit your resume and cover letter as one pdf document. The system will ask for your cover letter and CV as separate files, please submit the same single pdf file for both.
Visit the University of Rochester's HR site and search for Job ID: 213283
Application review will begin February 25th. The position will remain open until filled. If you have questions or need more information about the position email: RCLHR@library.rochester.edu
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer: EOE Minorities / Females / Protected/ Veterans / Disabled
Last updated: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 20:40 UTC