Programmer /Analyst, Systems and Services
Programmer /Analyst, Systems and Services
Ontario Colleges Library Service (OCLS)
Full-time (37.5 hrs. /week) permanent position
Ontario Colleges Library Service (OCLS) is seeking a motivated Programmer/Analyst to work on OCLS’s Information Technology (IT) team. The position report to the Director of IT, works closely with the IT Systems & Services Coordinator and eResources & Services Coordinator and other members of the IT & Services teams in the area of Information Technology (IT), programming, business analysis and service development. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to expand their skills and knowledge by developing, maintaining and delivering a wide range of services and solutions in support of the libraries and learning resource centres of Ontario’s 24 publicly-funded colleges.
The Programmer/ Analyst, Systems and Services positon is accountable for providing system support functions for the current range of services and third party programs provided by OCLS to the college libraries. As well, the position will assist in the identification of system/service efficiencies and the development of new services and solutions. The ability to understand the needs of OCLS and college libraries staff and translate that understanding into concrete action to enhance our services is central to this position.
- Working effectively within OCLS’s Customer Support and Service environment to deliver exemplary customer service to Ontario’s 24 college libraries;
- Working with OCLS’s IT and Services teams, to design, develop, support and maintain the full range of OCLS’s services:
o support for these services may include configuration, scripting/programming, managing legacy scripts and programs, as well as identifying system efficiencies that could be achieved by improving existing or developing new code;
o support will also include but not be limited to working with the desktop environment, the offsite hosted (private cloud) environment and the on-premises server environment;
- Understanding, analyzing, and refining business requirements for OCLS software and services, both new and current;
- Analyzing and reviewing systems functionality, developing and revising documentation, developing standardized protocols and templates for testing, and troubleshooting;
- Participating in the qualitative and quantitative evaluation of services delivery and the tracking of pertinent data and statistics to demonstrate value to OCLS customers and funders and support the associated business model(s);
- Maintaining knowledge of relevant trends and issues in the field;
- Remaining current by participating in training and/or attending conferences as necessary;
- Participate in additional services and projects as assigned and perform other duties as required.
The qualifications listed below are highly desirable but not necessarily mandatory. Candidates are invited to demonstrate how their skills, knowledge, and experience would best fit one of these positions in their letter of application.
A three-year diploma in computer science or equivalent is required at the point of hire into this position;
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience with Windows, Linux/Unix OS, Perl, PHP, Visual Basic or other scripting/programming languages;
- At minimum, 2 years’ experience and/or proven ability working with:
- MySQL, Microsoft SQL and other database software
- REST, SOAP and other Web Services languages
- Object Oriented Programming (Java, C++, C#)
- Knowledge of Web Design (HTML, CSS, XML);
- Experience with repository software, preferably Islandora;
- Experience with ticket tracking software; Best Practical Request Tracker (RT) preferred, and report generation in a multi-OS, multi-application environment;
- Experience in and strong commitment to outstanding user experience;
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, organizational and communication skills;
- Demonstrated project management experience;
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with colleagues and other professionals in an environment characterized by rapid change;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team; willingness to work after hours if needed;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple assignments and handle competing demands;
- Knowledge of library technical operations through a recognized library educational program or through experience working in a library IT department would be an asset;
- Knowledge of metadata and MARCEdit software would be an asset;
- Knowledge of French.
What OCLS Offers
· Competitive compensation; salary for this Band 8 position begins at $58,858;
· Learning and development opportunities;
· Small staff working in cross-functional teams;
· Opportunities to build relationships across the province;
· Flexible work arrangements;
· Comprehensive health and dental benefits;
· Minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation per year;
· Employee and family assistance program (EFAP).
Join OCLS in providing quality services to Ontario’s publicly funded colleges and their libraries and learning resource centres. Visit our website for more details http://www.ocls.ca and view the OCLS Strategic Plan for our values, mission, and additional information.
OCLS respects, appreciates and encourages diversity. OCLS is also an equal opportunity employer and strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, OCLS will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process. Off-site interviews can be arranged.
Applications must be received by 4:00 pm Monday, March 4, 2019. Applications will be reviewed and considered for interview as they are received.
Position Start Date
As soon as possible.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates may apply by submitting a letter of application, current resume, and a list of three references in a single file labelled with “Your Name_#139” via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Your Name - #139” in the subject line. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
A web version of this posting can be found at: https://www.ocls.ca/careers
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 16:24 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 16:24 UTC