Please excuse cross-posting of this job announcement.
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is offering an exciting opportunity to join the Boreham Library staff. The Discovery and Access Librarian has the unique potential to shape how the library creates, uses, and manages metadata for a 21st century library. This position calls for innovation, creativity, and a willingness to problem-solve in a dynamic library environment. This position will include the management of the integrated library system (Innovative Interfaces, Inc.) and discovery system (EBSCO Discovery System – EDS), materials processing, as well as metadata creation and maintenance.
Essential Job Duties:
- Applies knowledge of relevant metadata standards, rules and best practices for the creation, analysis, enrichment, and maintenance of metadata at all levels;
- Collaborates across the university to develop and enhance procedures for effective metadata management;
- Responsible for developing solutions to metadata access and discovery problems;
- Serves as the integrated library system and discovery system administrator;
- Provides connectivity support for all third-party applications which connect with the integrated library system and discovery system;
- Coordinates with campus IT in the maintenance of the integrated library system;
- Acts as primary contact with the integrated library system and discovery system vendors;
Other Job Duties and Responsibilities –
- Responsible for monitoring trends and best practices in e-resources management, discoverability, and use;
- Serves as collection development liaison to designated academic departments;
- Participates in virtual and in-person reference;
- Serves on library and university committees and task forces;
- Hours as part of a regular weekend rotation are expected;
- Other duties as assigned.
Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of relevant foundational metadata tools, including but not limited to: AACR2, RDA, Dewey/LCC, LCSH, and MARC21;
- Knowledge of OCLC Connexion, OCLC Worldshare Record Manager and OCLC Worldshare Collection Manager and its use in metadata creation and maintenance;
- Knowledge of metadata tools and systems for creating, editing and transforming metadata – MarcEdit, Microsoft ®Excel, or OpenRefine;
- Experience using integrated library systems;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and effectively in a team environment;
- Ability to prioritize job tasks and responsibilities;
- Flexibility, adaptability and the ability to work successfully in a complex, dynamic environment with competing demands;
- Strong commitment to service excellence.
Required Education and/or Work Experience:
Minimum qualifications include master’s degree in library and information science from program accredited by the American Library Association or degree completion within six months of hiring date. Candidates with one or more years’ experience in an academic library setting are preferred. Demonstrated experience with library computer technologies and software is preferred.
Preferred Education and/or Work Experience:
- Ability to adapt quickly to new standards and technologies in discovery, access, and metadata;
- Experience with non-MARC metadata;
- Project management skills.
This position reports directly to the Director of Library Services; Works closely with librarians and library staff; Works with university faculty, staff and administrators, as well as students.
Apply at: https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/882
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 17:20 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 17:20 UTC